Quantum Entanglement: Entanglable particles?

In summary, all the scientific documents explaining QE that I have read always refer to the entanglement of photons, and yet some news reports state that ions such as beryllium and magnesium have been entangled (http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/090603-maco-entanglement.html). This type of entanglement could be used to transfer or split energy between two or more particles.
nuiluidwde
All the scientific documents explaining QE that I have read always refer to the entanglement of photons, and yet some news reports state that ions such as beryllium and magnesium have been entangled (http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/090603-maco-entanglement.html) so that instead of just their spin or polarization being entangled, their movement becomes intrinsically linked, so they will vibrate in opposite directions, for example.

Is this correct, can ions be entangled, and can anyone explain how? Would it mean that atoms could then be entangled, or that even larger things could be, such as compounds, or even something macroscopic like two pure aluminium balls? And can this type of entanglement be used to transfer or split energy between two or more particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
nuiluidwde said:
All the scientific documents explaining QE that I have read always refer to the entanglement of photons, and yet some news reports state that ions such as beryllium and magnesium have been entangled (http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/090603-maco-entanglement.html) so that instead of just their spin or polarization being entangled, their movement becomes intrinsically linked, so they will vibrate in opposite directions, for example.

Is this correct, can ions be entangled, and can anyone explain how? Would it mean that atoms could then be entangled, or that even larger things could be, such as compounds, or even something macroscopic like two pure aluminium balls? And can this type of entanglement be used to transfer or split energy between two or more particles?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, nuiluidwde!

Conceptually, anything could be entangled. On the other hand, usually entanglement refers to systems of 2 identical particles. Sometimes the system consists of more than 2 particles, and sometimes the particles are not completely identical, but those situations are more complex than is probably worth discussing at this time.

You can have entangled photon pairs (easiest to create), entangled electron pair (harder), or entangled ion pairs (harder still). When a pair of particles are entangled, they can be entangled on one or more observable properties such as spin/polarization, momentum, position, energy. The entangled properties obey the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP).

To entangle a pair of particles (or objects), they must be placed in a superposition of states. Essentially, you must not be able to distinguish one from the other. All that you will know is that the combined properties have a particular value, but you will not know that value for either particle. I.e. net momentum is zero, net spin is zero, etc. So measuring an attribute for one immediately tells you the value for the other.

Thanks DrChinese :biggrin:, that explanation was perfect, I feel I understand it quite well now, except for how to put two particles (other than photons) into a superposition, but I guess that's what's being investigated at the moment and the crux of the scientific research.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in a way that their properties are dependent on each other, even when they are separated by large distances. These particles are said to be "entangled."

2. How do particles become entangled?

Particles can become entangled through a process called "entanglement creation," which involves manipulating their quantum states. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using lasers or superconductors.

3. What are some potential applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has the potential to be used in various technologies, such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation. It may also have applications in improving communication and sensing technologies.

4. Is quantum entanglement instantaneous?

While quantum entanglement does seem to involve a connection between particles that is faster than the speed of light, it is not instantaneous. The exact mechanism of how this connection works is still not fully understood.

5. Can entangled particles be used for communication?

While entangled particles can have their properties affected by each other, it is not currently possible to use this connection for communication. This is because the properties of the particles cannot be controlled or manipulated by a sender, making it impossible to transmit information through them.