The Klein-Gordon field as harmonic operators

In summary, the conversation is about struggling to follow a computation in 'An Introduction to QFT' by Peskin & Schroeder. The computation involves writing the field and operators in Fourier space and finding the commutator between them. The final result is [ϕ(x),π(x) ]= iδ^((3))(x-x'), using the fact that \int exp ip(x-x') dp gives a dirac of (x-x'). The original poster is seeking help in understanding the steps of the computation.
y35dp
I am reading through 'An Introduction to QFT' by Peskin & Schroeder and I am struggling to follow one of the computations.
I follow writing the field [tex]\phi[/tex] in Fourier space
ϕ(x,t)=∫(d^3 p)/(2π)^3 e^(ip∙x)ϕ(p,t)

And the writing the operators [tex]\phi[/tex](x) and pi(x) as
ϕ(x)=∫(d^3 p)/(2π)^3 1/√(2ϖ_p )(a(p)+a(-p)†)e^(ip∙x)
π(x)=∫(d^3 p)/(2π)^3 (-i)√(ϖ_p/2) (a(p)-a(-p)† )e^(ip∙x)

But I struggle to follow the commutator of the two its given as
[ϕ(x),π(x) ]
=∫(d^3 p)(d^3 p')/(2π)^6 (-i)/2 √(ϖ(p')/ϖ(p)) ([a(-p)†,a(p')]-[a(p), a(-p')†])e^(ip∙x)

which I understand how to get to, I know the commutation relation
[a(p),a(p')†]=(2π)^3 δ^((3))(p-p')

Is subbed into the previous commutator and that the final result is
[ϕ(x),π(x) ]= iδ^((3))(x-x')

I just can't work through the steps I someone could go through it and really dumb it down it would be mega appreciated as Peskin & Schroder stress that working through such computations is essential for future formalisms. p.s sorry if you can't read the equations I couldn't get the code to work today, just let me know and I can give it another go.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to use, at the end, the fact that
\int exp ip(x-x') dp gives a dirac of (x-x')

1. What is the Klein-Gordon field?

The Klein-Gordon field is a theoretical concept in quantum field theory that describes a scalar field with spin 0. It is named after physicists Oskar Klein and Walter Gordon.

2. What are harmonic operators?

Harmonic operators are mathematical operators that satisfy the harmonic oscillator equation, which governs the behavior of simple harmonic motion. In the context of the Klein-Gordon field, these operators are used to describe the quantum states of the field.

3. How is the Klein-Gordon field related to quantum mechanics?

The Klein-Gordon field is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory, which is the framework that combines quantum mechanics with special relativity. It describes the behavior of a quantum scalar field, which can be thought of as a collection of particles with zero spin.

4. What is the significance of the Klein-Gordon field in physics?

The Klein-Gordon field is important in theoretical physics because it is a fundamental building block in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is also used in many other areas of physics, such as cosmology and condensed matter physics.

5. How is the Klein-Gordon field experimentally verified?

The Klein-Gordon field is a theoretical concept and cannot be directly observed. However, its predictions have been confirmed by numerous experiments in particle physics, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson, which is a manifestation of the Klein-Gordon field. Additionally, the mathematical formalism of the Klein-Gordon field has been successfully applied to many experimental results in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory.