Is it possible to interfere in our dna and make the cells reproduce

• Medical
  • Thread starter cosmos seeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells Dna
In summary: of money, and there are other things to consider such as the possibility that the new organ would not work as well as a regular organ.
cosmos seeker
is it possible to interfere in our dna and make the cells reproduce very fast for exp: 10 times in a single second and manipulate the dna in that way so they can't stop renewing or reproducing

Biology news on Phys.org

It is probably impossible to get cells (any cells) to reproduce at 10 times in a second. Very simple bacterial cells in optimum conditions for growth, for example, have a doubling time of ~ 20 min. Cellular reproduction requires a considerable amount of biological material to be synthesized (e.g. DNA, proteins, lipids, carbohydrates). The rates of the chemical reactions and the rates it takes these compounds to be transported throughout the cell would place a fundamental limit on the doubling time of an cell. For example, the rate at which DNA polymerase enzymes can synthesize DNA is somewhere in the range of 10-100 nucleotides per second, so it would be difficult for these enzymes to synthesize even a minimal genome in a fraction of a second. Even if these enzymes were made to be "perfect catalysts" (the reaction rate is limited only by the rate of diffusion of the reactants), I don't think they could support a reproduction rate as high as 10 times per second. My guess as to the upper limit would be on the order of the rates seen in bacteria: tens of minutes. Perhaps one day we could design simple cell-like systems with doubling times on the order of minutes.

It is possible, however, to engineer human cells in ways that they can't stop reproducing. This is, essentially, what cancer cells are: cell that have accumulated mutations that allow them to replicate uncontrollably and indefinitely. A good discussion of factors required for cells to become "immortalized" is given in the following review by Hanahan and Weinberg, "The Hallmarks of Cancer" (http://www.weizmann.ac.il/home/fedomany/Bioinfo05/lecture6_Hanahan.pdf ).

Last edited by a moderator:

No i think it would kill you, because you would need cells to die at a equal rate, if not you would split your organs and bleed out. plus if your on about just some cells for people in post trauma they still need to get rid of the dead or damaged cells by braking down into there parts which takes time. so no i think it would kill you even if you needed more liver or what ever cells. Is that what you ment in your question. Plus as your dna copys as rna it loses a small amount of info can't remember the name of it but if i am wrong correct me

Last edited:

thank you for giving answer to my question . i thought that by changing , modifiing the dna we can be able to do every thing .
well i have another question . there are some types of small lizards that if you cut their tail they are able to produce another one, but without causing cancer. their tail cells reproduce in a special way or something , and can we change our dna so our cells reproduce that way ?

Em maybe someday not for 50 years at least. Because there is to much there bone skin ect but maybe in a lab and then with surgery put on. As for playing with dna we cant, not with such a very small part of it like that because if we do rna can't be picked up and taken somewhere in the body to be made into a new cell. But if you were fix it so a cell could be copyed an unlimited number of times you would get into other problems

Last edited:

maybe, its possible. But even if you were to accomplish that. What would speeding up the DNA process do?

Grow a arm for a person who has one taken of in a few months maybe. If so it will help. If it is made with your own dna it won't be rejected i think. forget arms think now of livers, kidneys, hearts, ect with current research it may happen cost and other things need to be taken into account time will tell. I think it is very cool and very exciting time in science now

Last edited:

yes of course that was what i was talking about. think of all disabled persons that have lost an arm or a leg or need a new heart or something ,they could get a new heart or arm and say goodbye to the poor disabled life just by paying a small price

It would cost alot

1. Can we manipulate our DNA to change the way our cells reproduce?

Yes, it is possible to interfere in our DNA and alter the way our cells reproduce through various techniques such as gene editing or gene therapy.

2. Is it safe to interfere in our DNA for the purpose of cell reproduction?

The safety of manipulating our DNA for cell reproduction depends on the specific technique and its potential risks. Extensive research and ethical considerations are necessary before any intervention can be considered safe.

3. What are the potential benefits of interfering in our DNA for cell reproduction?

By manipulating our DNA, we can potentially treat genetic diseases, improve immune responses, and even enhance physical traits. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential consequences as well.

4. Are there any limitations to interfering in our DNA for cell reproduction?

While advancements in technology have made it possible to manipulate our DNA, there are still limitations in terms of precision and potential unintended effects. More research is needed to fully understand and overcome these limitations.

5. Can interfering in our DNA lead to genetic modification?

Interfering in our DNA does involve modifying genetic material, but it is not necessarily the same as genetic modification. Genetic modification refers to intentional changes to the genetic makeup of an organism, while interfering in DNA for cell reproduction may involve repairing or altering specific genes without fundamentally changing the organism's genetic code.