Proving that tan(x) is unbounded on [0, pi/2)

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that tan(x) is unbounded on [0,pi/2), one can construct a sequence on [0,pi/2) such that for every n, there exists x(n) in [0,pi/2) with |tan(x(n))|>n. This can be done by showing that the function f(x)=tan(x)-x is increasing on [0,pi/2) and has a zero at pi/2, meaning tan(x) is always greater than x after this point. Additionally, one can also show that sin(x) is always greater than a non-zero number on (0,pi/2), meaning the bottom of the fraction in tan(x) goes to zero
torquerotates

Homework Statement

Prove tan(x) is unbounded on [0,pi/2)

Homework Equations

if s is unbounded, s>n

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm doing this by constructing a sequence. I don't know if this is valid. If tan(x) is unbounded on [0,pi/2), there exists x(n) in [0, pi/2) such that |tan(x(n))|>n for all n.

I can construct an sequence on [0,pi/2) such that pi/4<x1<x2<x3<...<x(n). such that

for n=1, tan(x1)>1

sin(x1)/cos(x1)>1 true since pi/4<x1<=pi/2

assume tan(x(n))>n is true.

well tan(x(n+1))=tan(e+x(n)) { since x(n+1)>x(n), I can say, x(n+1)=x(n)+e
for some number e}

=[tan(e)+ tan(x(n))]/[1-tan(e)tan(x(n)]<[tan(e)+n]/[1-tan(e)tan(x(n)]

taking lim[tan(e)+n]/[1-tan(e)tan(x(n)]=(0+n)/[1-0]=n
e->0

hence tan(x(n+1))>n

hence tan(x) is unbounded on [0,pi/2)

I don't even know if this is correct. I don't know if I can construct a sequence that does this and I don't know if I can take limits that way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at [tex]f(x)=\tan x-x[/tex] and show that it increasing but as a zero, this will show that after the zero [tex]\tan x>x[/tex] for that zero.

You need to formilze the fact that [itex]\cos{\pi/2} = 0[/itex], so [itex]\tan{(x)}[/itex] has a vertical asymptote there.

Dickfore has a very good point, you could try and formalise an asymptotic series around pi/2.

The easiest way is to show the bottom goes to zero as x goes to pi/2 while the top does not. Show that on some interval of (0,pi/2) sin(x) >= 1/2 (or some other non-zero number).

1. What does it mean for a function to be unbounded?

For a function to be unbounded, it means that its values can increase or decrease without any limit. In other words, there is no maximum or minimum value that the function can reach.

2. How do you prove that tan(x) is unbounded on [0, pi/2)?

To prove that tan(x) is unbounded on [0, pi/2), we can show that as x approaches pi/2 from the left, the value of tan(x) approaches positive infinity. Similarly, as x approaches 0 from the right, the value of tan(x) approaches negative infinity.

3. Why is it important to prove that tan(x) is unbounded on [0, pi/2)?

Proving that tan(x) is unbounded on [0, pi/2) is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the tangent function and its limits. It also has applications in various fields of mathematics and science, such as calculus and trigonometry.

4. What is the significance of the interval [0, pi/2) in proving that tan(x) is unbounded?

The interval [0, pi/2) is significant because it represents the restricted domain of the tangent function. This interval includes all values of x between 0 and pi/2, which are the only values for which the tangent function is defined. Therefore, proving that tan(x) is unbounded on this interval shows that the behavior of the function is unbounded within its defined domain.

5. Are there any other methods to prove that tan(x) is unbounded on [0, pi/2)?

Yes, there are other methods to prove that tan(x) is unbounded on [0, pi/2). One method is to use the definition of the tangent function and show that its values increase or decrease without any limit. Another method is to use the properties of limits and show that the limit of tan(x) as x approaches pi/2 from the left or 0 from the right is infinite.