A Horse Pulls a Barge in a River; What is the force of the water on the Barge?

In summary, the horse is pulling a 9500 kg barge along a canal at 18° with a tension of 1084.2 N on a rope. The water's force on the barge has a magnitude of 0.824 m/s^2 and is at the angle θ = 22.2 degrees from the barge's motion.
emmy

Homework Statement

In the figure, a horse pulls a barge along a canal by means of a rope. The force on the barge from the rope has a magnitude of 7830 N and is at the angle θ = 18° from the barge's motion, which is in the positive direction of an x-axis extending along the canal. The mass of the barge is 9500 kg, and the magnitude of its acceleration is 0.12 m/s2. What are (a) the magnitude and (b) the direction (measured from the positive direction of the x axis) of the force on the barge from the water?
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c05/q48.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

[PLAIN]http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/amorxamor/5-42.jpg

So (a) the magnitude is 6690 N
(b) the direction is 18 degrees from +x direction (upstream)

I'm at a loss. I think this is how you do it...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the barge's motion is strictly in the x-direction as stated in the problem, then there should be no acceleration in the y-direction. That means that the water is providing a force to counter the rope's y-component of force. This is easily calculated from the given rope tension and direction.

The net acceleration is in the x-direction, so the rope's x-direction force, countered by the water's x-direction force, must yield the desired acceleration (fnet/m).

By the way, I like your diagram. It has the look of a whiteboard sketch. What did you use to produce it?

gneill said:
If the barge's motion is strictly in the x-direction as stated in the problem, then there should be no acceleration in the y-direction. That means that the water is providing a force to counter the rope's y-component of force. This is easily calculated from the given rope tension and direction.

The net acceleration is in the x-direction, so the rope's x-direction force, countered by the water's x-direction force, must yield the desired acceleration (fnet/m).

By the way, I like your diagram. It has the look of a whiteboard sketch. What did you use to produce it?

That's what I was thinking that the water had to be countering the force in the y direction, since it's definitely traveling in a straight line:

net ay=0, water ay= -horse ay = 7830N/9500kg =0.824m/s^2
Fy=m.ay.sin(θ)= 7830sin(18)= 2419.6N
net ax=0.12m/s^2
Fx= m.ax.cos(θ)= (9500kg)(0.12m/s^2)cos(18)= 1084.2 N

from these values, the magnitude is:
sqrt(2419.6^2 + 1084.2^2)= 2651.4 N

and then θ:
tan^-1(1084.2/2419.6)= 22.2 degrees with respect to +x?

I must've gotten something wrong somewhere; shouldn't the water be traveling in some direction close to opposite the barge, especially since it's exerting a y component of force away from the horse...

and thanks! I actually made it on photoshop with a tablet :shy:

That's not the only solution for theta. There is indeed another solution that might seem a lot more plausible.

S_Happens said:
That's not the only solution for theta. There is indeed another solution that might seem a lot more plausible.

Hmm.. I know that I could technically do the arccos or arcsin functions, but since I have the x and y components... it won't give the correct angle?

Either way I need both the x and y components of the force of the water ):

emmy said:
That's what I was thinking that the water had to be countering the force in the y direction, since it's definitely traveling in a straight line:

net ay=0, water ay= -horse ay = 7830N/9500kg =0.824m/s^2
net ax=0.12m/s^2
Fx= m.ax.cos(θ)= (9500kg)(0.12m/s^2)cos(18)= 1084.2 N

Not sure I follow that last line. The net force in the x-direction can be obtained from the acceleration and the mass of the barge. No cosine required. Where the cosine comes in is to find the contribution to the x-direction force of the rope tension. Then, if Fx is the net force in the x-direction (producing the acceleration),

Fx = Fxrope + Fxwater = m ax

Fxwater = Fx - Fxrope

With Fxwater and Fy ( = Fywater) in hand, you have the components of the force due to the water.

I must've gotten something wrong somewhere; shouldn't the water be traveling in some direction close to opposite the barge, especially since it's exerting a y component of force away from the horse...

I suspect that the barge is employing a rudder...

gneill said:
Not sure I follow that last line. The net force in the x-direction can be obtained from the acceleration and the mass of the barge. No cosine required. Where the cosine comes in is to find the contribution to the x-direction force of the rope tension. Then, if Fx is the net force in the x-direction (producing the acceleration),

Fx = Fxrope + Fxwater = m ax

Fxwater = Fx - Fxrope

With Fxwater and Fy ( = Fywater) in hand, you have the components of the force due to the water.

I suspect that the barge is employing a rudder...

Fx= (9500kg)(0.12m/s2)= 1140 N
Fxrope= 7830cosθ= 7830cos(18)= 7446.8N
Fxwater= unknown, this is what we're solving for...

Fxwater= Fx - Fxrope= (1140-7446.8)N= -6306.8 N (which makes sense since the water is flowing in the -x direction)

Then the angle θ would be
arctan (Fy/Fx)= θ
arctan(2419.6/-6306.8)= -21o
θ= -21.0o

The fywater should be negative too. It's countering the rope's y-component, which is acting in the +y direction. That puts the water force direction in the 3rd quadrant, with an angle in the neighborhood of -160 degrees (you can calculate a precise value).

gneill said:
The fywater should be negative too. It's countering the rope's y-component, which is acting in the +y direction. That puts the water force direction in the 3rd quadrant, with an angle in the neighborhood of -160 degrees (you can calculate a precise value).

oh but I realized that the question asks for the magnitude of the force on the barge from the water, so that would be

(2419.62+6306.82)1/2 = 6755.0 N correct?

and then for the angle, did you just subtract 18o-180o to get the water to be flowing 180o away from the Tension in the rope to the horse? It would make sense that the water is flowing that way because the barge is moving in a straight line...

The force magnitude looks good (at least, it's the same as what I arrived at).

For the angle of the force due to the water, I used the individual components in atan() and sorted out the quadrant from the signs of the components. It turned out to be not quite 180° from the rope angle.

gneill said:
The force magnitude looks good (at least, it's the same as what I arrived at).

For the angle of the force due to the water, I used the individual components in atan() and sorted out the quadrant from the signs of the components. It turned out to be not quite 180° from the rope angle.

Great!

So i ended up with about 201o from the +x direction... from doing arctan(2419.6/6306.8) and then adding 180o to the calculator answer since it should be in the III Quadrant.

Looks good!

gneill said:
Looks good!

Hmm, well the magnitude was correct, but the angle was wrong when I submitted it :frown:

emmy said:
Hmm, well the magnitude was correct, but the angle was wrong when I submitted it :frown:

That's disconcerting. Perhaps they were looking for the angle measured in the other direction? -159.0° ? If so, the software is deficient.

There have been complaints about the software before, maybe they did want -159... it was a logical answer...

Thank you very much for all your help!

My pleasure.

1. What is the concept of a horse pulling a barge in a river?

The concept of a horse pulling a barge in a river is an example of how animals can be used to do work, in this case, pulling a heavy object (barge) through water.

2. How does the horse's force affect the barge?

The horse's force is transferred through the rope or harness connecting it to the barge, causing the barge to move in the direction of the force.

3. What is the role of the water in this scenario?

The water provides resistance against the barge, making it more difficult for the horse to pull. The force of the water on the barge depends on the speed and direction of the water flow.

4. How can the force of the water on the barge be calculated?

The force of the water on the barge can be calculated by using the equation F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the water, and a is the acceleration of the water caused by the barge.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the force of the water on the barge?

Yes, other factors such as the shape and size of the barge, the speed of the water, and the direction of the water flow can also affect the force of the water on the barge. The weight and strength of the horse can also play a role.