Essential programming for physics/mathematics

• Thread starter Visceral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, the conversation discusses the essential programming languages for a physicist or mathematician. The speakers suggest that knowing languages like MatLab or IDL can help with basic assignments, but learning C++ can make someone more proficient and able to pick up other languages as needed.
Visceral
Hello,

I was wondering what programming languages are essential to a physicist/mathematician. In the courses I am in, I have encountered programming homework assignments that I did not anticipate(differential equations and classical mechanics). Needless to say, I have had very little experience with programming, so these assignments have been more of me struggling with the programming/syntax than me understanding math/physics. What programming languages should I know? It seems like Fortran, C++ and Matlab are some of the most popular ones I see.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to get by, you should learn the basics of something like MatLab or maybe IDL.
If you want to be pro, you should learn C++, and once you're familiar and experienced with that you'll be able to pick up whatever bits of pieces of other languages you need, when you need them.

1. What is essential programming for physics/mathematics?

Essential programming for physics/mathematics refers to the use of computer programming languages and techniques to solve problems and analyze data in the fields of physics and mathematics. It involves writing code to perform calculations, simulate physical systems, and visualize data.

2. Why is programming important in physics/mathematics?

Programming allows for efficient and accurate calculations, simulations, and data analysis that would be difficult or impossible to do by hand. It also enables visualization of complex mathematical and physical concepts, making them easier to understand and communicate.

3. Which programming language is most commonly used in physics/mathematics?

The most commonly used programming language in physics and mathematics is Python. It is a versatile and easy-to-learn language that has a wide range of libraries and tools specifically designed for scientific computing and data analysis.

4. Do I need to be a computer expert to learn essential programming for physics/mathematics?

No, you do not need to be a computer expert to learn essential programming for physics/mathematics. While having some basic computer skills can be helpful, there are many resources and tutorials available for beginners to learn programming for scientific applications.

5. How can I start learning essential programming for physics/mathematics?

There are many online resources, courses, and books available for learning essential programming for physics/mathematics. It is also helpful to have a specific project or problem in mind to practice and apply your programming skills. Working with other scientists who have programming experience can also be a valuable learning experience.