Calculating Current Through a Resistor Using Short Circuit Method

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the current through resistor R1 by short circuiting the voltage source and using Ohm's law. It was discovered that the total current through R1 and R2 is 3 amps.
dimpledur

Homework Statement

Find the current through the resistor R1.
figure3.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

First I short circuited the voltage source and determined I1.

I1=(9A)(10-olms/18-olms)=5 A down

Next, I short circuited the current source and determined the current going through R1 via olms law.

I2=18V/18-olm= 1 A up

Therefore, the total current flowing through the resistor R2 is 4 A down

Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake in finding I1 when you short circuited the voltage source. What i would do is to find the equivalent resistance of R1 and R2, then the voltage across them, and then I1.
Since R1 is bigger than R2 there should be more current through R2

The rest is OK.

There is more current going through R2 I thought.

I think I figured it out.

I1=(9A)(80)/(180) = 4 A down

Then that means that there is 3 amps down total. Does that seem more appropriate?

Anyone?

3 amps looks good.

1. What is the difference between a current source and a voltage source?

A current source provides a constant flow of electrical current, regardless of the voltage, while a voltage source maintains a constant voltage, regardless of the current. In other words, a current source supplies a fixed amount of current, while a voltage source supplies a fixed amount of voltage.

2. How are current and voltage sources used in electrical circuits?

Current and voltage sources are used to power electronic devices and circuits. A voltage source is typically used to provide a steady voltage for the circuit to operate, while a current source is used to supply a specific amount of current to a specific component in the circuit.

3. Can a current source be converted into a voltage source?

Yes, a current source can be converted into a voltage source by using a resistor in series with the current source. The voltage drop across the resistor will be proportional to the current, effectively converting the current source into a voltage source.

4. What is the difference between an ideal and a non-ideal current or voltage source?

An ideal source would provide a constant current or voltage regardless of the load or external factors, while a non-ideal source may have limitations or variations in its output under certain conditions.

5. Can a current source be used to measure voltage?

No, a current source cannot be used to measure voltage directly. However, a voltage can be indirectly measured by using a known resistor in series with the current source and measuring the voltage drop across the resistor using Ohm's law.