Which of these degree paths will give me the best prospect

• Thread starter ldefeo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, a second year mechanical engineering student at Southampton uni is seeking advice on choosing a concentration for the remaining 2 years. The student is considering options such as advanced materials, bioengineering, automotive, aerospace, and sustainable energy, but is concerned about job prospects. However, the speaker advises against choosing a concentration based solely on job prospects and instead suggests choosing something that interests the student.
ldefeo1
hi i am a second year mechanical engineer at Southampton uni, we get to choose a theme for the remaining 2 years. just looking for a bit of general advice here.

the options i like the sound of are

advanced materials - should be quite an easy option and should be lots of jobs in this ?

bioengineering - sounds quite interesting might be well paid too i imagine

automotive theme, have always thought cars were fun but worried i might be limited at car sector in uk is drying up.

aerospace theme - i think planes are awesome and this could be a possibility

sustainable energy - this sounds really good and would be nice to do something for the environment however how many jobs are there realistically in this.can anyone comment on these themes as to what they think they are like prospect wise and which sound interesting to you.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not matter what sounds interesting to "us." It matters what sounds interesting to you.

That being said, choosing a concentration based on "job prospects" is a fundamentally flawed way of reasoning. Even if you go into a concentration with the best prospects it does not mean you will get a job in that field. Plus, if you're a complete idiot in that particular field you'll likely get passed over from a smart person with a different concentration anyways.

Choose what you like, not what you think will be most employable.

ldefeo1 said:
hi i am a second year mechanical engineer at Southampton uni, we get to choose a theme for the remaining 2 years. just looking for a bit of general advice here.

the options i like the sound of are

advanced materials - should be quite an easy option and should be lots of jobs in this ?

bioengineering - sounds quite interesting might be well paid too i imagine

automotive theme, have always thought cars were fun but worried i might be limited at car sector in uk is drying up.

aerospace theme - i think planes are awesome and this could be a possibility

sustainable energy - this sounds really good and would be nice to do something for the environment however how many jobs are there realistically in this.

can anyone comment on these themes as to what they think they are like prospect wise and which sound interesting to you.

thanks

It doesn't matter. Your degree certificate will still say "Mechanical Engineering" no matter what option you choose. A few different modules at undergrad make no difference to possible career paths.

What are the different degree paths that can lead to a successful career in science?

The most common degree paths for a successful career in science include a Bachelor of Science (BSc), Master of Science (MSc), and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree. These degrees can be obtained in various fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science.

Which degree path offers the best job prospects in the field of science?

The answer to this question depends on your career goals and interests. A BSc degree can provide a strong foundation for entry-level positions in scientific research or industry. An MSc degree can lead to more advanced research positions or teaching roles. A PhD degree is usually necessary for high-level research positions and academic careers.

What factors should I consider when choosing a degree path in science?

When choosing a degree path, you should consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You should also research the job market and demand for different science fields and consult with professionals in your desired field. Additionally, consider the curriculum, opportunities for research, and resources available at each institution.

Are there any alternative degree paths that can lead to a successful career in science?

Yes, there are alternative degree paths such as Associate degrees, vocational training, and online programs that can also lead to a successful career in science. However, it's essential to ensure that these programs are accredited and provide the necessary knowledge and skills for your desired career.

Can I switch between different degree paths during my academic journey in science?

Yes, it's possible to switch between different degree paths in science. However, this may require additional time and effort to complete the necessary coursework and catch up with your peers. It's crucial to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your degree path.