Where Can I Find a Comprehensive Physics Book with Emphasis on Application?

• Thread starter mewmew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good mechanics book for a first year physics student. The person mentions that their current textbook is lacking in some areas and they have purchased many books that either focus solely on problems or provide excessive detail without practice problems. They are looking for a textbook that effectively covers the "whys" of physics and also includes practice problems. The mention of Newton's laws being simple but frustrating to apply is also made. The person recommends Resnick & Halliday as a good choice for this purpose.
mewmew
Are there any good mechanics books out there for a first year physics student? My textbook(serway physics for engineers and scientists) is ok but a bit lacking in some places. I have bought a lot of books but it seems they either fall into one of two categories. They either are all problems with little emphases on "why" or explains all the "whys" in almost too much detail and doesn't actually do any problems. I want a textbook type book that will adequately cover all the whys but ALSO have problems to supplement it. Newtons laws are SO simple and yet application can be quite frustrating. I just want to know if anyone knows of any goods physics books that will actually help me understand physics and be able to apply them properly in standard problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my stump speech : buy Resnick & Halliday; you won't regret it.

That would be a very good choice!

1. Why is it so hard to find a book that I enjoy?

There are many factors that can make it difficult to find a good book. It could be due to personal preferences, limited selection, or simply not knowing where to look. Additionally, different books can resonate with different people, so what may be a great book for one person may not be as enjoyable for another.

2. How can I broaden my reading choices and find a good book?

One way to broaden your reading choices is to try out different genres or authors that you haven't read before. You can also ask for recommendations from friends, family, or librarians who may have similar reading tastes as you. Another option is to browse through online book reviews or join a book club to discover new titles.

3. Are there any techniques for choosing a good book?

While there is no guaranteed technique for finding a good book, there are some strategies you can try. You can read the synopsis or summary of the book to get a sense of the plot and characters. You can also read a sample or preview of the book to see if the writing style and story piques your interest. Additionally, you can research the author's background and previous works to see if their writing style aligns with your preferences.

4. How can I tell if a book is well-written?

The definition of a well-written book can vary from person to person, but there are some common elements that are often associated with good writing. These include a compelling plot, well-developed characters, descriptive and engaging writing style, and a satisfying resolution. You can also check out online reviews or ask for opinions from others who have read the book.

5. What should I do if I can't find a good book to read?

If you are having trouble finding a good book, don't get discouraged. Sometimes, taking a break from reading or trying out a different genre can help. You can also revisit books that you have enjoyed in the past or ask for recommendations from fellow readers. And remember, not every book will be a perfect fit for you, so don't be afraid to put a book down if you are not enjoying it.