Clipping and V supply and Voltage at collector of a transistor

In summary: If you require more information, please let me know. In summary, the common emitter BJT n-p-n Voltage Amplifier circuit amplifies input signal by increasing the voltage across the collector-emitter terminals. The gain of the circuit is given by Vc/Vb = 50. The maximum voltage that the output can reach is 5.03 volts (Vs + Vc). Any voltage above this or below the collector voltage (Vc) will be clipped. The clipping voltages on the circuit will be 0.85 volts and 3.9 volts.
jellybones21
Hi, I am new here and I need some help on a massive project that has a large bearing on our end of year results.
Its got to do with clipping of an output signal in a common emmitter BJT n-p-n Voltage Amplifier circuit.
It asks us to comment on the clipping and relate it to Vs and Vc. Where Vs is the supply voltage and Vc is the collector voltage.

It's just that the values we got are confusing. For the supply(Vs) we got 5.03 with a gain of approx. 50. There was clipping of the output on both positive and negative cycles. The collector voltage (Vc) was 2.429 and the clipping occurs around 0.85V and 3.9V. How do you get clipping at those values, with that supply, gain and input?

Am i missing something blatantly obvious here?
I really need someone to guide me through the calculations as all the theories I have searched on the internet failed to help me. There are 2 other similar questions but if someone answers this, I am pretty confident I can work the other two out.

You might need more info, please tell me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Clipping of an output signal occurs when the input signal exceeds the supply voltage (Vs) or collector voltage (Vc). To understand why this is the case, you need to first understand how the circuit works. The common emitter BJT n-p-n Voltage Amplifier circuit amplifies an input signal by increasing the voltage across the collector-emitter terminals. This increase in voltage is known as gain, and is equal to the ratio of the collector voltage (Vc) to the base voltage (Vb).Now using your values, the gain of your circuit is given by Vc/Vb = 50. This means that for every volt of input signal, the output signal will be amplified by 50 volts. Since the supply voltage (Vs) is 5.03 volts, and the collector voltage (Vc) is 2.429 volts, the maximum voltage that the output can reach is 5.03 volts (Vs + Vc). This is because any voltage above 5.03 volts would exceed the supply voltage, and therefore be clipped. Similarly, any voltage below 2.429 volts would be outside the range of the collector voltage, and also be clipped.Therefore, the clipping voltages on your circuit will be 0.85 volts (2.429 - 1.579) and 3.9 volts (5.03 - 1.13).I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of clipping better and enables you to work out the other similar questions.

1. What is clipping in a transistor?

Clipping in a transistor refers to the process of limiting the amplitude of a signal by removing or cutting off the peaks of the signal. This can be achieved by using a diode or a transistor in the circuit.

2. How does clipping occur in a transistor?

Clipping occurs in a transistor when the voltage at the collector exceeds the supply voltage. This causes the transistor to enter into saturation and the output voltage is limited to the supply voltage.

3. What is the purpose of clipping in a transistor?

The purpose of clipping in a transistor is to protect the circuit from excessive voltage levels that could damage the components. It is also used to shape or modify the waveform of a signal.

4. What is the role of V supply in a transistor?

V supply, also known as the supply voltage, is the voltage that is provided to the transistor circuit. It is used to power the transistor and determine its operating point, which affects its amplification and switching capabilities.

5. How does the voltage at the collector affect a transistor's performance?

The voltage at the collector is an important parameter in a transistor's performance. It determines the gain of the transistor, as well as its saturation and cutoff points. A higher voltage at the collector can lead to distortion, while a lower voltage can limit the transistor's amplification capabilities.