Study skills across different topics/subjects

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's struggles with math and physics, and their preference for English. They ask for suggestions on how to improve their understanding of math-based subjects, and the responses suggest thinking about equations and theorems in a visual way, practicing consistently, and treating math as a language. They also offer to help with specific symbols causing difficulty.
dorkymichelle
I have a hard time with math and physics. Part of the problem is its hard for me to decipher equations and theorems with so many symbols. My best subject is English, reading and writing comes very naturally for me, but I also find it very boring and tedious.
Do you guys have any suggestions on how one technique of learning English or other subject can be used in learning math-based subjects?
It seems my brain can't interpret math like it can with language = /

Physics news on Phys.org
If your biggest problem is, as you put it, deciphering equations and symbol-laden theorems, perhaps you should try thinking about them another way. As you read an equation or theorem, try to construct a corresponding mental image--you might just be a visual learner.

Practice, practice and practice some more. Do every problem set 3 times at least. Look up symbols that you're unfamiliar with. Just keep putting in effort, and it'll pay off.

One approach is to write the equations out in English. Try to figure out what the symbols really mean (not just as instructions to do something). Get a good 'translation' reflex going in your mind, so that it becomes more like a language.

This will also help a lot if you are needing to write proofs.

May I know which kind of symbols you're having troubles with?? Maybe we can suggest a way to see these symbols differently...

Mathematics is also a language, really. You need to know the vocabulary and grammar of the symbols and of the terms, before you can write and read them efficiently. But practise WILL make perfect!

1. What are study skills and why are they important?

Study skills refer to the strategies and techniques that help individuals effectively learn and retain information. They are important because they can improve academic performance and lead to better understanding and retention of material.

2. How can I improve my study skills across different subjects?

One way to improve study skills across different subjects is to create a study schedule that allows for regular practice and review. Additionally, learning how to take effective notes, use mnemonic devices, and practice active learning techniques can also improve study skills.

3. Are there different study skills for different subjects?

Yes, there are different study skills for different subjects. For example, subjects that require a lot of memorization, such as history or vocabulary, may benefit from flashcards or mnemonic devices. On the other hand, subjects that require more critical thinking and analysis, such as math or science, may benefit from practice problems and diagrams.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying different subjects?

One way to stay motivated while studying different subjects is to set realistic goals and rewards for yourself. Breaking up study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks can also help maintain motivation. Additionally, finding a study group or study buddy can provide accountability and support.

5. How can I adapt my study skills to fit my learning style?

To adapt study skills to fit your learning style, it is important to first identify your learning style. Some common learning styles include visual, auditory, and kinesthetic. Once you know your learning style, you can tailor your study methods to fit, such as using visual aids or recording lectures for auditory learners, or incorporating movement and hands-on activities for kinesthetic learners.