What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

In summary, the conversation discussed Faraday's Law of Induction and Lenz's Law. The main concept was understanding the direction of induced current in a wire within a changing magnetic flux. Lenz's Law states that the induced current will always oppose the change causing it. This was further explained through an example of two wires with opposite currents. The conversation also mentioned a helpful video on Lenz's Law.
dinhjeffrey

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=34851&stc=1&d=1303698759.jpg

Homework Equations

faraday's law of induction

The Attempt at a Solution

umm i don't really understand this concept:frown: so here's my attempt. the answer is C so is it because if you have a wire within a wire and the current of one wire is going one direction, the current of the other wire always goes the opposite direction?

Attachments

• 32-36 001.jpg
    32-36 001.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
No that is not a good way to think about it. If the current in the outer wire were decreasing, then they would be going the same way. You have to think in terms of flux. Lenz's law says: "An induced current is always in such a direction as to oppose the motion or change causing it"

The cause of the induced current is the changing magnetic flux through the loop. The flux is increasing into the page, so the wire on the inside needs to produce a flux out of the page to resist the change.

If the wire on the outside had its current decreasing then there would be less flux into the page, so the inside wire would have to produce more flux into the page, and the currents would be in the same direction.

thxthx i understand it now ^^

dinhjeffrey said:
thxthx i understand it now ^^

Good! Lenz's law is very cool. Check out this video on Lenz's Law.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh cool my teacher showed us this in class too! lool

1. What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor.

2. Who discovered Faraday's Law of Induction?

Michael Faraday, a British scientist, discovered Faraday's Law of Induction in the 1830s.

3. How does Faraday's Law of Induction work?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that when a conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field, a voltage is induced in the conductor, which in turn creates an electric current.

4. What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction is the basis for many important technologies, such as generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in devices like electric cars, power plants, and MRI machines.

5. How is Faraday's Law of Induction related to Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law of Induction. It states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it.