Finding complex solution to quadratic equation

And yes, I know that the "x" should be a "z" in the original problem.)In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a quadratic equation of the form z^2 + αz + β = 0 with given values for α and β. The solution, z = 1 + i, is provided and the task is to find the other solution and determine the values of α and β. The conversation goes through various attempts and methods to solve the equation, including using simultaneous equations, finding the conjugate of the solution, and using the fact that if z = c is a root of the equation, then (z - c) must be a factor
adichy

Homework Statement

A (complex) solution to the quadratic equation of the form
z^2 + α z + β = 0, is z = 1 + i.
(where α and β are real numerical constants),

Write down the other solution and hence determine the values of α and β.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

this question had me staring at it for a while since it has 2 unknown. I am thinking that i have to use some kind of simultaneous equation method but i don't have 2 equations.
How do i get rid of one of the unknowns or is there another way to solving this

i still got it wrong not sure what it is i did wong but here's what i did

z=1+i , z=1-i

a=α and B=β
therefore

(1+i)^2 +a(1+i)+B=(1-i)^2 +a(1-i)+B
(1+i)^2 - (1-i)^2= a(1-i) - a(1+i)
4i+2i^2=-2ai
2i(2+i)=-2ai
a=-2-i

question asks for a real solution my 1s still imaginary :|

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i jus found out that another solution to this quadratic is its conjugate...if that helps ^^

Last edited:
If z = c is a root of the (complex) quadratic equation
[tex]z^2 + \alpha z + \beta = 0[/tex]
then (z - c) must be a factor of the quadratic.

You have the two solutions,
z = 1 + i and z = 1 - i. So that means that
[tex]z^2 + \alpha z + \beta = [z - (1 + i)][z - (1 - i)][/tex]
. Expand the right-hand side and equate the corresponding coefficients to find α and β.

*edit* Sniped and with tex, eumyang is correct

so i expanded the RHS and got

a=2
B= 1-i^2=2

is that correct?

adichy said:
i jus found out that another solution to this quadratic is its conjugate...if that helps ^^

Tip: this is always the case. Can anyone come up with a more precise statement of this theorem?

eumyang said:
If z = c is a root of the (complex) quadratic equation
[tex]z^2 + \alpha z + \beta = 0[/tex]
then (z - c) must be a factor of the quadratic.

You have the two solutions,
z = 1 + i and z = 1 - i. So that means that
[tex]z^2 + \alpha z + \beta = [z - (1 + i)][z - (1 - i)][/tex]
. Expand the right-hand side and equate the corresponding coefficients to find α and β.
Exactly right. And notice that this can be written [itex][(z-1)- i][(z-1)+ i][/itex]
the product a "sum and difference" which makes it especially easy to evaluate:
[itex](a- b)(a+ b)= a^2- b^2[/itex]

adichy said:
so i expanded the RHS and got

a=2
B= 1-i^2=2

is that correct?

b is, but not a. I think you have a mistake in your algebra somewhere.

HallsofIvy said:
Exactly right. And notice that this can be written [itex][(z-1)- i][(z-1)+ i][/itex]
the product a "sum and difference" which makes it especially easy to evaluate, so one could use this:
[itex](a- b)(a+ b)= a^2- b^2[/itex]

Nice one. The precalculus book I use in my class actually gives a formula for this type of expansion:
[tex][x - (a + bi)][x - (a - bi)] = x^2 - 2ax + (a^2 + b^2)[/tex]

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a polynomial equation of degree 2 and can be solved to find the values of x that make the equation true.

2. How do you find the complex solutions to a quadratic equation?

To find the complex solutions to a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. The ± symbol indicates that there are two possible solutions, one with a plus sign and one with a minus sign. Substituting in the values of a, b, and c from the equation will give you the two complex solutions.

3. Can a quadratic equation have more than two complex solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can only have two complex solutions. This is because the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial equation of degree n has exactly n complex roots, counting multiplicity. Since a quadratic equation has degree 2, it can only have two complex solutions.

4. How do you know if a quadratic equation has complex solutions?

A quadratic equation has complex solutions if the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is less than 0. If the discriminant is equal to 0, then the equation has one real solution, and if it is greater than 0, then the equation has two real solutions. If the discriminant is less than 0, the equation will have two complex solutions.

5. What is the significance of complex solutions in a quadratic equation?

Complex solutions in a quadratic equation can represent points on a complex plane, which can be useful in certain applications such as physics and engineering. They can also provide a more accurate representation of the behavior of the equation, as real solutions may not accurately reflect the behavior of the equation at all values of the variable.