Astronomy - Determine the sum of the stellar masses

In summary, we are given a double star system with a maximum angle of 2 arcseconds between the stars as seen from Earth, and a rotation period of 4 years. Using Newton's law of universal gravitation, the centripetal force equation, and Kepler's third law, we can derive an expression for the sum of the stellar masses. To find the distance between the stars, we can use basic trigonometry by relating the distance from Earth and the maximum angle between the stars.
tosv

Homework Statement

A double star located at a distance of 10 light years from us. The maximum angle between the stars, as seen from Earth, is 2 arcseconds. (1 arcsecond = 1 / 3600 degrees), we can assume that the stellar orbit is circular and that this angle gives us the real distance between the stars. We observe that the rotation period of the stars is 4 years. What is the sum of stellar masses?

Homework Equations

Newton's law of universal gravitation:
[tex]F_{G}=G\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]
Centripetal force:
[tex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]
Kepler's third law:
[tex]P^{2} \propto a^{3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The stellar orbit is circular, so the gravitational force should be equal to the centripetalforce, but how do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can work out the actual distance between the two bodies by simple geometry. You should also realize that the both bodies will orbit a common center of mass, so you can work out the individual radii of their orbits (symbolically) as fractions of that distance which depend upon their relative masses. Their individual velocities can similarly be determined (symbolically) from the resulting circumferences of their orbits and the given period of the orbit.

These, along with your gravitational force and centripetal force expressions, should allow you to find an expression for the sum of the two masses.

I rewrite the centripetal force as:
[tex] F_{c}=m\cdot \omega^{2}\cdot r[/tex]

So now I can express the equality between the gravitational force and centripetal force for respective star to be
[tex] M\omega^{2}R=G\frac{Mm}{(R+r)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] m\omega^{2}r=G\frac{Mm}{(R+r)^{2}}[/tex]

I simply the expression and then and I add the left-hand side of the equations together and the same procedure to the right-hand side and I find this expression for the sum of the masses:
[tex] M+m=\frac{\omega^{2}\cdot (R+r)^{3}}{G}[/tex]

The angular velocity can be expressed as
[tex] \omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]

I finally found this expression for the sum of the masses:
[tex] M+m=\frac{(\frac{2\pi}{T})^{2}\cdot (R+r)^{3}}{G}[/tex]
But I’m not sure how I’ll proceed and calculate the distance (R+r), should I relate the distance from Earth and the maximum angle between the stars?

tosv said:
But I’m not sure how I’ll proceed and calculate the distance (R+r), should I relate the distance from Earth and the maximum angle between the stars?

Yes. Basic trig.

As a scientist, the first step in solving this problem would be to gather all the necessary information and understand the relationships between the different variables. From the given information, we know that the distance between the stars is 10 light years (which is equivalent to approximately 9.461e+16 meters) and the maximum angle between them is 2 arcseconds (which is equivalent to approximately 0.0005556 degrees). We also know that the rotation period of the stars is 4 years.

Next, we can use Kepler's third law to determine the sum of the stellar masses. This law states that the square of the orbital period (P) is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis (a) of the orbit. In this case, since the orbit is circular, the semi-major axis is equal to the distance between the stars (10 light years). Therefore, we can write the equation as follows:

P^{2} \propto a^{3}
(4 years)^{2} \propto (10 light years)^{3}
16 \propto 1000
P^{2} = \frac{1000}{16}
P^{2} = 62.5

Now, we can use this value of P^{2} to solve for the sum of the stellar masses using Newton's law of universal gravitation. Rearranging the equation, we get:

m_{1}m_{2} = \frac{F_{G}r^{2}}{G}

Since the gravitational force is equal to the centripetal force, we can substitute the equation for the centripetal force (F_{c}=\frac{mv^2}{r}) into the equation for the gravitational force. This gives us:

m_{1}m_{2} = \frac{\frac{mv^{2}}{r} r^{2}}{G}
m_{1}m_{2} = \frac{mv^{2}}{G}

We know that v (the orbital speed) can be calculated using the formula for centripetal force, so we can substitute that into the equation:

m_{1}m_{2} = \frac{\frac{m\frac{2\pi r}{P}^{2}}{G}}
m_{1}m_{2} = \frac{4\pi^{2}m}{GP}

Now, we can substitute the value of P^{2

1. What is the purpose of determining the sum of the stellar masses in astronomy?

Determining the sum of the stellar masses is important in understanding the structure and evolution of galaxies. It helps us to estimate the total amount of matter in a galaxy and how it is distributed among its stars, gas, and dark matter. This information can also provide insights into the formation and dynamics of galaxies.

2. How is the sum of the stellar masses calculated?

The sum of the stellar masses is calculated by measuring the individual masses of stars in a galaxy and adding them together. This can be done through various methods, such as studying the orbits of binary star systems, analyzing the brightness and temperature of stars, or using computer simulations.

3. Can the sum of the stellar masses change over time?

Yes, the sum of the stellar masses can change over time due to various factors such as stellar evolution, star formation, and interactions between stars. In some cases, galaxies may also gain or lose stars through mergers with other galaxies.

4. How does the sum of the stellar masses affect a galaxy's properties?

The sum of the stellar masses has a significant impact on a galaxy's properties, such as its size, brightness, and rotation speed. Galaxies with higher stellar masses tend to have larger sizes and higher levels of star formation. The distribution of stellar masses also affects a galaxy's overall structure and can play a role in its interactions with other galaxies.

5. What are some current research topics related to determining the sum of the stellar masses?

Some current research topics in this area include studying the role of dark matter in galaxies and how it relates to the sum of the stellar masses, investigating the effects of galaxy mergers on the stellar mass distribution, and exploring the connection between a galaxy's star formation history and its total stellar mass. Other studies are also focused on refining methods for accurately measuring the masses of stars in galaxies.