Generalise the magnetic field of multiple current loops

In summary, the equation for calculating the flux density at the center of a range of current loops can be found by integrating the expression for the magnetic flux density at the center of a single current loop over the range of radii. The current appearing in the expression should be written as n*dr, where n is the number of current loops per unit radius, and then integrated accordingly. It is important to remember that the element of integration should come out of the basic equation rather than being added later.
Orlando

Homework Statement

Determine an equation to calculate the flux density at the center of a range of current loops encircling each other.

Homework Equations

The equation for the magnetic flux density at the center of a current loop is

mu*I / (2*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed I could just integrate the above equation over a range of radii as follows:

b
[tex]\int[/tex](mu*I / (2*r)) dr = (mu*I/2)*-ln(a/b)
a

Have I done this correctly or do the magnetic fields not add this way? Please help!

PS. How on Earth do you use the maths tools to write equations in these posts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Besides dimensional incorrectness you should realize that the current that appears in the expression is [n*i] i.e the number of turns per unit length times the length. What you can do is write the current as n*dr where dr is differential radius.Then you integrate.You realize now that you can not expect integral of field times length to give you field.

Thank you for your response. I must apologise - I've never really learned how to use calculus in this manner and still don't quite understand. If it's not too much effort, could you write out the integral? I have run out of time and don't understand how to manipulate integrals. It would be much appreciated.

To write out any integral you first need to write your basic equation--which in this case is the B field at the centre of the loop--for a differential element.That element could be a small ring(differential radius),length(differential length),current element,mass element,etc.

In the formula for B field at the centre of the field the current appearing is actually differential--you would appreciate that it is only a small part of the total current.But the variable in your equation is radius r.So you manipulate element di as n*dr where n is the number of current loops per unit radius which in this case is N/b-a[N--total loops].Of course uniform distributions of loops is assumed.

Now you integrate accordingly.It can be easy if you always remember that the element of integration should come out of the basic equation.If you are adding it later it will be almost always wrong.

Ah, I understand it much better now. Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it.

1. How does the magnetic field of multiple current loops differ from that of a single loop?

The magnetic field of multiple current loops is the sum of the individual magnetic fields produced by each loop. This results in a more complex and stronger magnetic field compared to a single loop.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by multiple current loops?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by multiple current loops depends on the number of loops, the current in each loop, and the distance between the loops. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic field from multiple current loops be determined?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, the curl of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the spacing between the current loops affect the shape of the magnetic field?

The spacing between the current loops affects the shape of the magnetic field by altering the strength and direction of the magnetic field at different points. A larger spacing can result in a more spread out and weaker magnetic field, while a smaller spacing can result in a more concentrated and stronger magnetic field.

5. What is the significance of generalizing the magnetic field of multiple current loops?

Generalizing the magnetic field of multiple current loops allows us to understand and predict the behavior of more complex magnetic fields, which is crucial in many scientific and technological applications such as motors, generators, and MRI machines.