Physics vs Engineering Vs Math Vs Computer science.

In summary, The individual is trying to decide what majors and minors to pursue. They are considering completing a double major with a minor, or at least a Major with a double Minor. They definitely want to major in physics, and they don't want to do anymore than a minor in computer science. They greatly enjoy physics math and engineering, and they also enjoy computer science and feel that some knowledge of it could be very useful. They would also like to pick a combination that would make it possible for them to graduate in 4 years.
agent_509
I am currently trying to decide my majors and minors. I would like to complete a double major with a minor, or at least a Major with a double Minor. I definitely want to major in physics, and I don't want to do anymore than a minor in computer science. I greatly enjoy physics math and engineering, and I also enjoy computer science and feel that some knowledge of it could be very useful. I'd also like to pick a combination that would make it possible for me to graduate in 4 years.

here are the combinations I've been considering.

B.S. physics
B.S. Mathematics
minor computing

B.S. physics
A.S. engineering
minor in computing or minor in mathematics

any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for some input on which if any of these combinations are practical. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have no idea what combinations are practical. Look at your institution's course catalog and find out things like if classes can "double count", how many credits you are allowed to take per semester, what prerequisites are required, if you will even be allowed to double major/minor, etc.

It will be extremely difficult for you to double major in physics and engineering (in most cases). At my school it is literally impossible, even if you want to graduate in 5 years. Engineering programs are physics and math intensive so you'll probably get your "fix" for physics and math in engineering. If you're set on pure math and physics, than a physics/math double major is common from what I hear, so that one the other hand is doable. Have you looked into electrical or software or computer engineering? You'll be taking some computing courses for sure with these majors.

Are you going to your first year? Maybe take some math, engineering and computer courses and see what you like best.
We can't decide this for you, you need to do whatever you like the most. In any case, physics and engineering will probably be difficult, have you checked your course catalog to see if you can actually do this in 4 years?

You haven't provided the most important piece of information:

What are you planning on doing after completing your undergrad?You should be picking your degree based on what you're planning to do with it.

Thanks for the replies everyone, you've been a lot of help. I really enjoy physics, I just also enjoy engineering and wanted a taste of that. But from what you've said I can't do both physics and engineering, and the school I want to go to doesn't offer anything but an A.S. in engineering anyways. I guess my plan will be to double major PHYS-MATH with a minor in computer science. I'd like to afterwards try to get into grad school and get a Ph.D.

I don't know where/which university you'll be attending, but there are multiple uni's around here that offer both Physics and Engineering as a double, as a few of the units overlap. Usually these courses are left with ~3 spaces left over for optional units - just enough for a minor in computer science. They're also 5 year courses. I myself am hoping for a transfer to a Physics/Eng double to be approved.

If those are your areas of interest, go for it. I can't imagine having the minor in CompSci would hinder you at all, bar slightly extending the time your degree(/s) take(s/).

you have to know that studying in the university is totally different that school don't be fooled like me
i thought that math was cool and physics sucks when i went to university to take it was the opposite

Q1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems to solve practical problems.

Q2. How is math related to physics, engineering, and computer science?

Mathematics is the language of science and is essential to all four fields - physics, engineering, math, and computer science. It provides the tools and techniques to model and solve problems in these disciplines. Without math, it would be impossible to understand and analyze the natural world, design complex systems, or write efficient computer programs.

Q3. Can you major in both physics and engineering?

Yes, some universities offer majors in engineering physics or applied physics, which combine elements of both disciplines. These programs provide a strong foundation in both physics and engineering, allowing students to apply their knowledge to real-world problems in various industries.

Q4. What is the difference between computer science and engineering?

Computer science focuses on the theory and application of computing systems, including software development and programming. It involves designing and developing algorithms and data structures to solve complex problems. Engineering, on the other hand, involves the design and construction of physical systems and structures. Computer engineering combines elements of both computer science and engineering, focusing on the design and development of computer hardware and software systems.

Q5. Which field has more job opportunities: physics, engineering, math, or computer science?

All four fields have a high demand for skilled professionals and offer numerous job opportunities. The choice ultimately depends on your interests and strengths, as well as the specific job market in your area. Physics and engineering fields may have more opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, and construction, while computer science and math may have more opportunities in technology and data-driven industries.