Finding the Change of Coordinate Matrix for Standard and Custom Bases

In summary, the change of coordinate matrix from \gamma coordinates to \beta coordinates for the standard basis P2(R) is given by the 3x3 matrix:10101-11-21
Punkyc7
Find the change of coordinate matrix from[tex]\gamma[/tex] coordinates to [tex]\beta[/tex] coordinate where [tex]\beta[/tex] is the standard basis for P2(R) and
[tex]\gamma[/tex]={ 1+t^2, t-t^2, 1-2t +t^2}

Since i can't figure out how to type matrices i will explain what I did. I made a 3 by 3 matrix and put the [tex]\beta[/tex] basis on the top of the matrix and the [tex]\gamma[/tex] basis on the row side. The I got the matrix
01-1
1-21

Im wondering if this is right or if I put the bases on the wrong part of the matrix because I can never remember where they go.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your matrix is supposed to act on the vector {1,t,t^2} and produce the vector {1+t^2, t-t^2, 1-2t +t^2} then I think you have it right.

1. What is a change of coordinate matrix?

A change of coordinate matrix is a mathematical tool used to transform coordinates in one coordinate system to another. It is often used in linear algebra and geometry to convert between different reference frames or coordinate systems.

2. How is a change of coordinate matrix represented?

A change of coordinate matrix is typically represented as a square matrix with the same number of rows and columns as the dimensions of the coordinate system. It contains the coefficients necessary to transform the coordinates from one system to another.

3. What is the purpose of a change of coordinate matrix?

The purpose of a change of coordinate matrix is to simplify calculations involving coordinates in different reference frames or coordinate systems. It allows for easy conversion between systems, making it a useful tool in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. How is a change of coordinate matrix calculated?

A change of coordinate matrix is calculated by first identifying the transformation equations between the two coordinate systems. These equations are then used to set up a system of linear equations, which can be solved to obtain the coefficients of the change of coordinate matrix.

5. Can a change of coordinate matrix be used for non-linear transformations?

No, a change of coordinate matrix can only be used for linear transformations. For non-linear transformations, more complex mathematical tools such as differential equations or nonlinear maps are required.