Dissertation supervisors - reference quality vs quality of supervision

In summary, the speaker is unsure about who to choose as a supervisor for their undergraduate mathematics dissertation in the area of functional analysis. They are considering two professors, X and Y, who are both well respected but have different levels of availability and willingness to devote time to the project. The speaker is torn between wanting a reference from X and potentially working better with Y. They seek advice on how to make the decision.
gauss mouse
I am wondering who to ask to supervise my dissertation (I'm in final year undergraduate mathematics). My interest is functional analysis and there two members of staff involved in this area.
X is a professor and he is well respected, Y has been a lecturer here for about four years and is well respected here, but I'm not sure how well known he is outside of here (by "here" i mean our university).
I know that I can work with y, as I've done a small project with him and he was incredibly helpful. I'm not sure if X would be willing to devote quite so much time as Y to supervising me, though I'm sure he would give plenty.
My basic problem is that I know that a reference from X would look a lot better, but that I also know that I'd probably work a little better with Y.
Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a difficult decision to make. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which professor would be the best fit for your dissertation. You might want to consider discussing the project with both professors and asking them about their availability and willingness to devote time to working with you, as well as the level of guidance they are willing to provide. That way, you can make an informed decision based on the feedback you receive from each professor. Additionally, you might want to seek advice from other faculty members or peers who have worked with either professor in the past. Good luck!

What is the importance of reference quality in choosing a dissertation supervisor?

Reference quality is crucial in choosing a dissertation supervisor as it provides insight into the supervisor's expertise, experience, and reputation in the field. A good reference can give you confidence in your supervisor's abilities and can also open up opportunities for networking and collaboration.

How does the quality of supervision impact the outcome of a dissertation?

The quality of supervision has a significant impact on the outcome of a dissertation. A good supervisor can provide guidance, feedback, and support throughout the dissertation process, leading to a well-written and well-researched dissertation. On the other hand, a poor supervisor may not provide adequate support, resulting in a lower quality dissertation.

What should I consider when evaluating the reference quality of a potential supervisor?

When evaluating the reference quality of a potential supervisor, consider their academic qualifications, research experience, publication record, and any awards or recognition they have received. It is also essential to read reviews and talk to current or past students who have worked with the supervisor to get a better understanding of their reference quality.

Is it more important to have a supervisor with a high reference quality or a high quality of supervision?

Ideally, you want a supervisor who has both a high reference quality and a high quality of supervision. However, if you have to choose between the two, it is generally more beneficial to have a supervisor with a high quality of supervision. A good supervisor can provide support and guidance, even if they may not have a high reference quality.

Can a supervisor with a low reference quality still provide high-quality supervision?

Yes, a supervisor with a low reference quality can still provide high-quality supervision. Reference quality does not necessarily reflect a supervisor's ability to guide and support their students. It is essential to consider both reference quality and quality of supervision when choosing a dissertation supervisor.