Engineering at Degree Level: What Should I Take in 6th Form?

In summary, the best options to take at a 6th form to go into engineering at degree level are maths and physics, with chemistry also being a valuable choice for materials and thermodynamics modules. Further maths and design & technology may also be beneficial, but they can be time consuming. It is recommended to check with admissions tutors at universities for specific requirements.
Lukeitfc
I know this may be a dumb question, but what are the best options to take at a 6th form to go into engineering at Degree level

Maths and Physics are obvious ones, but any others??

chemistry?

TIA

Luke

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not excatly sure how the new A-level system works so it but maths and physics definitley, also if you have the option do a mechanics AS level (which may be done as part of a further maths A level). Apart from that your probably quite free to choose.

Though I would also advice you to go to the UCAS site and have a look at the different enginerring dgrees and which subjects the y require for entry:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/

thanks, it's just that I'm filling my application form in, and i have chosen maths with mechanics, and physics, as well as chemistry, and Government and Politics, i have done engineering at GCSE level, so i already know some basics

Maths and physics are, as you say, by far the most valuable choices. Consider chemistry (especially useful for any materials or thermodynamics modules you might take), and perhaps design & technology if your 6th form allows it, although this is a very time consuming A level. Finally, and you might not like this, - further maths! It will be hard work now, but will save you a shedload of effort in 1st year. There's more maths in an engineering degree than anything else, - there is not a SINGLE module in my degree which doesn't make use of A level maths to some extent.

Also, if you're in any doubt, just give the admissions tutor of some good universities a bell, they're always more than happy to talk to you guys.

Thanks for the help, it seems that Maths Physics and Chemistry are the main choices,

1. What subjects should I take in 6th form to prepare for an engineering degree?

The most important subjects to take in 6th form for engineering are mathematics, physics, and chemistry. These subjects provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of engineering and are required for most engineering degree programs. Other useful subjects may include design and technology, computer science, and further mathematics.

2. Is it necessary to take all three sciences (biology, chemistry, and physics) in 6th form for engineering?

No, it is not necessary to take all three sciences for engineering. However, physics and chemistry are highly recommended as they are directly related to the principles and applications of engineering. Biology may also be useful for certain specializations in engineering, such as biomedical engineering.

3. Are there any specific grades or qualifications I need to have for an engineering degree?

Each university and program may have different requirements, but in general, a strong foundation in mathematics and science is essential. Most engineering degree programs will require a minimum of A-levels or equivalent qualifications in mathematics and physics, and some may also require chemistry or other relevant subjects.

4. Are there any additional extracurricular activities or experiences that can help me prepare for an engineering degree?

Participating in relevant extracurricular activities, such as robotics clubs, coding clubs, or engineering-related competitions, can help you gain practical skills and knowledge that will be beneficial for an engineering degree. Additionally, gaining work experience or internships in engineering-related fields can also provide valuable insights and hands-on experience.

5. Can I still pursue an engineering degree if I did not take relevant subjects in 6th form?

It may still be possible to pursue an engineering degree if you did not take relevant subjects in 6th form, but it may require additional qualifications or foundation courses. It is best to check with the specific university and program you are interested in to see if they have any specific requirements or recommendations for students who did not take relevant subjects in 6th form.