Ring with radial force applied

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the static deflection of a ring with a fixed center, attached by infinite springs and subjected to a radial force. The thickness, width, Young's modulus, and moment of area of the ring are given. The problem involves deriving an equation and finding the characteristic equation to determine the particular solution. The necessary boundary conditions are also discussed, with a focus on the applied force and the displacement along the circumference of the ring.
vishal007win
I have attached a figure with this, to help in understanding the problem.
A ring whose circumference is attached to its center by infinite springs. Center is fixed.
thickness of ring is h, width is b, Young's modulus E and moment of area I.
Now a radial force is applied(shown in the figure by an arrow) at theta= - pi/2.
How to find the static deflection.
i have derived the equation(6th order in w)(w is radial displacement).
i am able to find out the characteristic equation, by which homogeneous solution can be found. but how to find the particular solution.
What will be the boundary conditions?
in beams, end boundary conditions are specified either in terms of displacements or forces or moments. Using them the solutions can be found.
i first thought that,
w and all derivatives of w are continuous at theta=3*pi/2 and -pi/2? but this doesn't help.
please help..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
The boundary conditions you need to consider are related to the applied force. You need to consider the magnitude and direction of the force and the line of action it follows. Since the force is applied at a specific point, you need to consider the displacement at that point which is zero. Additionally, the displacement should be continuous along the circumference of the ring. This means the displacements at theta = -pi/2 and 3pi/2 must be equal.

1. What is a "Ring with radial force applied"?

A "Ring with radial force applied" refers to a ring-shaped object that is subjected to an inward or outward force from its center, causing it to expand or contract in a radial direction.

2. How is a "Ring with radial force applied" used in scientific experiments?

"Ring with radial force applied" can be used in various experiments to study the effects of radial forces on materials, such as their elasticity, strength, and deformation behavior.

3. What are the applications of studying "Ring with radial force applied"?

Studying "Ring with radial force applied" can have practical applications in engineering, material science, and biomechanics. It can help improve the design and performance of structures, materials, and medical devices.

4. How is the radial force applied to a "Ring with radial force applied" measured?

The radial force applied to a "Ring with radial force applied" can be measured using force sensors, strain gauges, or other instruments that can detect changes in the ring's dimensions or properties under the applied force.

5. What are the factors that can affect the behavior of a "Ring with radial force applied"?

The behavior of a "Ring with radial force applied" can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the ring, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the temperature, and the presence of any external constraints or supports.