What should I be learning in grade 9 for math and physics?

• Thread starter Cbray
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's current level of knowledge in math and physics, their interest in expanding their knowledge, and suggestions for what to focus on at their age. They are advised to enjoy their freedom in grade 9 and focus on current school work, but also recommended to continue learning trigonometry and possibly start looking at precalculus before moving onto calculus. The speaker is also given resources for problem-solving and suggested areas of math to focus on.
Cbray
I'm in grade 9 , we just started parabola's and quadratic equations.
I'm able to do quadratic equations no problem, I did do some parabola's a while ago so it would be practically revision. I did start Trigonometry in my own time I just finished the sin line.. should I still continue ? (We haven't started trig yet).
After finishing what ever when can I start calculus ?

Also with physics, I've done physics of motion up to projectiles flying through the air (briefly know it since I learned from khan academy), and waves (strong).

What should I start doing in physics and maths, I really like to expand my knowledge.. thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you should continue. Not only will it be useful for physics, it will also be useful for finishing school mathematics.

Start with a non-calculus based physics book (Cutnell and Johnson's Physics springs to mind) if you want to dive into some physics in the mean time.

Once you have algebra and trigonometry done (also geometry) and feel confident with them, maybe look at a precalculus book. From there hop onto calculus.

Take what I say as a rough guide. More experienced people on this forum might have a better approach :)

Have fun and good luck Cbray!

Personally, I wouldn't focus too much on it. You're in grade 9. Enjoy your freedom. Focus on the school work you are doing now. This is the part of your life where some of the most fundamental ideas and concepts are presented to you.

High school is boring. If you can afford them I suggest the Art of Problem Solving Series.

Calculus and everything after that is quite advanced material and is quite difficult. Also it needs almost all the math that you learn in school. So I would wait until grade 11 to learn calculus. For now you can look at anything before that, for example, analytic geometry (graphs, tangents, etc), trigonometry, simultaneous equations, logarithms, or anything else like that. And get good at word problems of all types, most people struggle with that.

NRICH is a great website for problem-solving. nrich.maths.org

I also don't necessarily think you need to learn all of trigonometry or all of 'precalculus' to start learning calculus. They are essential in calculus at some point, but you can still learn the basics.

What should I be learning?

1. What skills are in demand in the current job market?

Some of the most in-demand skills in the current job market include data analysis, programming, digital marketing, and project management.

2. How do I identify my strengths and weaknesses to determine what to learn?

You can identify your strengths and weaknesses by reflecting on your past experiences and seeking feedback from others. You can also take online assessments or consult with a career counselor for guidance.

3. Should I focus on learning a broad range of skills or specialize in a specific area?

It depends on your career goals and personal preferences. If you want to pursue a specific career path, specializing in a particular area may be beneficial. However, having a broad range of skills can also make you more marketable and adaptable in a constantly evolving job market.

4. How can I stay motivated to continue learning and developing my skills?

Set specific and achievable goals, create a plan for learning, and regularly track your progress. Seek out opportunities to apply your skills in real-world situations and surround yourself with a supportive network of peers and mentors.

5. What resources are available for self-directed learning?

There are numerous resources available for self-directed learning, such as online courses, tutorials, books, podcasts, and workshops. You can also join online communities and attend networking events to connect with others in your field and gain valuable insights and knowledge.