Calculating Voltage at Points A, B & C

• Thread starter Elec Rug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of superposition theorem to determine the voltages and currents at points A, B, and C in a circuit. However, this method does not work with voltage sources as the current cannot flow through the circuit. The poster asks for the correct way to calculate the voltages and currents at the three points, and how to apply Kirchhoff's laws to solve the circuit.
Elec Rug
I'm trying to determine the voltages and currents at points A, B and C of the attached drawing. I tried it by using the superposition theorm. Only this doesn't work with the voltage source, because the current can't "run" through the circuit, because the currentsources are than deleted, and there is no closed circuit.
My question is: what is the right way to calculate the voltages and current at the 3 points. And what are voltages and currents at the 3 points?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 1C.bmp
    34.8 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

To start, can you say what the voltage at B is, as well as the currents at A and C?

For the rest, try using Kirchhoff's Current Law and Voltage Law (KCL and KVL) for the circuit.

1. How do I calculate voltage at a specific point?

To calculate voltage at a specific point, you need to use the formula V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. You will also need to know the resistance and current values at that point.

2. What is the difference between voltage and potential difference?

Voltage and potential difference are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Voltage refers to the energy per unit charge between two points, while potential difference refers to the difference in potential energy between two points. In other words, voltage is a measure of electrical potential, while potential difference is a measure of the change in electrical potential.

3. How do I calculate voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total voltage is equal to the sum of the individual voltages. This means that you can calculate voltage at a specific point by adding up the voltages of all the components before that point. For example, if there are three resistors in series, you would add up the voltage across each resistor to find the total voltage at that point.

4. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

Voltage is measured in volts (V). This unit is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery.

5. Can voltage be negative?

Yes, voltage can be negative. This usually occurs when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction in which the voltage is measured. It can also occur when there is a decrease in electrical potential between two points.