Big Bang Theory and Shape of the Universe

In summary: We are limited by our own experiences and perceptions. In summary, the conversation discusses the compatibility of the big bang theory with various models of a finite universe. It is suggested that the big bang theory does not necessarily require a spherical or elliptical shape, and other shapes such as toroidal or a mixture of spherical and flat dimensions are possible. It is also mentioned that the observable universe is finite, but the possibility of more beyond that is difficult to prove. Overall, there is no clear limitation on the shape of a finite universe in relation to the big bang theory.
Vorde
Is the big bang (referring to the well-established theory of post-Planck time evolution) compatible with any model of a finite universe that isn't spherical in topology?

It seems to me that the big bang theory requires that the universe be finite in volume and the only way that seems feasible to me is if it is spherical/elliptical in shape.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
What other shape would you expect?

Well it was my understanding that there are competing theories for the shape of the universe, Ranging from hyperbolic to flat to spherical depending on a value of a variable in the GR equations (I want to say eccentricity but I know that's different). And that we don't know which (if any) is correct.

It seems to me that the big bang theory requires that the universe be finite in volume and the only way that seems feasible to me is if it is spherical/elliptical in shape.[/QUOTE]

I think that right on both counts.

GR does not put much constraint on the global topology. You could in principle have nontrivial topology and still be compatible with the big bang.

The observable universe is, of course, finite - and always has been. If there is more to it than is observable - that is difficult to prove, but, possible.

Vorde said:
Is the big bang (referring to the well-established theory of post-Planck time evolution) compatible with any model of a finite universe that isn't spherical in topology?
Certainly! You could have toroidal topology, for one. Or a mixture of spherical and toroidal topology.

A quick example of toroidal topology, by the way, would be the example of the classic arcade game Asteroids. When you go off one edge of the screen, you come back on the other. A toroidal topology is like that.

You could also have one where two dimensions are like the surface of a sphere, while the third dimension is flat but wraps back on itself.

Vorde said:
It seems to me that the big bang theory requires that the universe be finite in volume and the only way that seems feasible to me is if it is spherical/elliptical in shape.
I'm not so sure there is any such limitation. It's hard to imagine how it could be other than finite, but an inability to imagine it doesn't mean it isn't possible.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that the universe began as a single point of extremely high density and temperature, which expanded rapidly and continues to expand today.

2. How old is the universe according to the Big Bang Theory?

The current estimate for the age of the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years, based on data from the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation and other observations.

3. What is the evidence for the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is supported by several lines of evidence, including the expansion of the universe, the abundance of light elements, the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation, and the large-scale structure of the universe.

4. Is the universe still expanding?

Yes, the universe is still expanding. This expansion is evident in the redshift of distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us. However, the rate of expansion is thought to be slowing down due to the pull of gravity.

5. What is the shape of the universe?

The shape of the universe is still a topic of debate among scientists. According to the current best estimates, the universe appears to be flat, meaning that parallel lines will never meet and the angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees. However, some theories suggest that the universe may have a spherical or saddle-shaped geometry. More research and observations are needed to determine the true shape of the universe.