Determine charge stored in capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on capacitors and a request for help. The question involves calculating the charge stored in a 50 μF capacitor after being charged by a 6V battery and the time constant of the circuit. A formula is also mentioned for calculating the time constant in an RC circuit.
MightyMeanie
Hey,
I am stuck on a question on capacitors, I have been doing physics all day so my brain might just be fizzled out a bit, but it is bugging me so if anyone could help it would great.Thanks,

A 50 μF capacitor is charged by connecting it to a 6V battery then discharged through a 100kΩ resistor.

Calculate the charge stored in the capacitor immediately after it has been charged and the time constant of the circuit.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the capacitor's connected directly to the battery, use C = Q/V for the first bit. The time constant, τ = RC for an RC circuit.

thank you :smile:

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How do you determine the charge stored in a capacitor?

The charge stored in a capacitor can be determined by multiplying the capacitance of the capacitor by the voltage across it. Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

3. What is the unit of measurement for charge stored in a capacitor?

The unit of measurement for charge stored in a capacitor is the coulomb (C). One coulomb is equivalent to the charge of 6.24 x 10^18 electrons.

4. How does the capacitance affect the charge stored in a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is directly proportional to the charge stored in it. This means that as the capacitance increases, the charge stored also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the charge stored in a capacitor be negative?

Yes, the charge stored in a capacitor can be negative. This occurs when the capacitor is connected in a circuit in reverse polarity, causing the charge on one plate to be negative relative to the other plate.