New (old) keyboard is on the way.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary, a new (old) keyboard is being released, offering a retro design with modern features such as wireless connectivity and customizable keys. This keyboard aims to appeal to both nostalgic users and those seeking a unique and functional keyboard experience. It is set to hit the market soon and is expected to be a popular choice among keyboard enthusiasts.
turbo
Gold Member
After years of complaining (which accomplishes nothing) about the crappy keyboards that ship with newer computers, I have dumped almost $100 to get a real keyboard, with tactile feedback and enough key-travel to allow my arthritic fingers to type without unnecessary pain. I loved the old IBM keyboards, and certainly hope that this one has the same touch and feel.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo said:
After years of complaining (which accomplishes nothing) about the crappy keyboards that ship with newer computers, I have dumped almost $100 to get a real keyboard, with tactile feedback and enough key-travel to allow my arthritic fingers to type without unnecessary pain. I loved the old IBM keyboards, and certainly hope that this one has the same touch and feel.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

Dang. I could have sent you my old PS2 keyboard.

BTW How's Windows 7 treating you now?

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Dang. I could have sent you my old PS2 keyboard.

BTW How's Windows 7 treating you now?
Thanks, Don! I really need a USB keyboard, though. This new Dell doesn't even have the PS2 female jacks for keyboard, mouse, etc. That interface has been abandoned, or I might have been able to source a used keyboard locally.

I'm still not a fan of Win7. I much prefer the XP look and feel. There is so much stuff in Win7 that is buried in unexpected places... Of course, I was not a big fan of ditching the command-line in favor of Windows many years back. When I bought my first IBM PS2 model 50, Windows was included for free. It was a very stripped-down graphical interface, and I ditched it immediately because it was a resource-hog and did nothing useful.

You can pick up a PS/2-to-USB converter for a few bucks at any electronics store, or order one through Newegg...

But just because a keyboard is old and has a PS/2 connector does not mean it is actually a mechanical keyboard with tactile feedback. Cheap bubble keyboards were in common use before USB become popular, I'm pretty sure.

You'll really enjoy the new keyboard, though. I dropped about $100 on a Das Keyboard a few months ago, and within a few days I decided it was well worth it.

Thanks, Ben.

turbo said:
Thanks, Don! I really need a USB keyboard, though. This new Dell doesn't even have the PS2 female jacks for keyboard, mouse, etc. That interface has been abandoned, or I might have been able to source a used keyboard locally.

lol. How soon we forget. I was wanting to load up a couple of old programs from 3½" diskettes and had to borrow a USB floppy. Then I found out the old 16bit programs can't be ran with these "new" processors.

Of course, I was not a big fan of ditching the command-line in favor of Windows many years back. When I bought my first IBM PS2 model 50, Windows was included for free. It was a very stripped-down graphical interface, and I ditched it immediately because it was a resource-hog and did nothing useful.

Same here, but oooh so glad there's graphic interfaces now.

What is the significance of the new (old) keyboard?

The new (old) keyboard is a significant development in the field of computer technology. It is a throwback to the traditional keyboards of the past, with larger keys and a more tactile feel. This allows for more accurate and comfortable typing for users.

What prompted the creation of the new (old) keyboard?

The creation of the new (old) keyboard was prompted by user demand for a return to the traditional keyboard design. Many users found the newer, sleeker keyboards to be uncomfortable and difficult to type on, leading to a resurgence of interest in the old design.

What improvements have been made in the new (old) keyboard?

The new (old) keyboard has been designed with modern technology and materials, making it more durable and efficient than its predecessors. It also includes features such as backlit keys and customizable key functions, making it a fusion of old and new technologies.

Will the new (old) keyboard replace current keyboard designs?

It is unlikely that the new (old) keyboard will completely replace current keyboard designs. While there is a demand for a return to traditional keyboards, many users have become accustomed to the newer designs and find them more convenient. The new (old) keyboard will likely coexist with current designs.

What impact will the new (old) keyboard have on typing productivity?

The impact of the new (old) keyboard on typing productivity will vary from user to user. Some may find that the larger keys and tactile feel allow for faster and more accurate typing, while others may not notice much of a difference. Ultimately, it will come down to personal preference and individual typing style.