Physics to engineering, preparing for grad school applications

In summary, the person is planning to graduate with a BS in physics and wants to pursue a master's degree in mechanical engineering. They are concerned about their research experience, their undergraduate coursework, and identifying "safety schools." They are also seeking general guidance for transitioning from physics to engineering. The expert suggests taking upper-level coursework in mechanical engineering before applying to graduate programs, as well as seeking advice from professors in the field. They also advise waiting until the end of the next term to address specific concerns and consider taking two upper-level electives in mechanical engineering. They do not believe that the Physics GRE will hold much weight in engineering graduate school applications.
slam7211
As the title suggests, I am going to graduate with a BS in physics, (graduating in spring 2013) I want to go into mechanical engineering, so I am looking into masters programs (If I wanted a PhD I would get one in physics, but I don't so engineering here I come) I know I will most likely need to catch up with undergrad coursework, that's not a problem. the concerns I have when it comes to grad school apps are the following:

1) should I take the phys GRE? will it hold use when applying to engineering grad school (I assume no but ill ask anyway)

2) my research resume is looking to be thin, something over this summer, and next year definitively, but beyond that its going to be thin

3) I go to a weak physics school, but I have/will have a high GPA: cumulative will most likely be a 3.5 with major gpa hitting the 3.7-3.9 mark

I know I don't need to start applying yet, I am asking simply because I want to know if there is anything I can/should do to fix any problems I may have before its too late

4) how can I identify "safety schools" I don't need specifics here as to what my safety schools should be but what should I look for in general as far as

also general guidance in grad school applications for someone jumping from phys to engineering would be appreciated

and finally be blunt and honest

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you don't graduate your undergrad degree until Spring of 2013 (three semesters away)... I first REALLY suggest you get into some coursework in MechE if at all possible. Minimize your "physics" degree and maximize your MechE coursework. I'd try to first get until upper-level elective courses (but make sure you have the preparation needed if there are any pre-reqs that need to get waived).

Why? Completing upper-level coursework in the field with good grades will show you're prepared for graduate coursework in the field (it might also get you away from too much remedial coursework). You'll have a chance to become more familiar with the field and solidify your decision (and it will have the appearance as so to graduate admissions committees). Also: you'll have contact with professors in the field... people who would be best to give you advice on what programs to apply to and should be the ones to write your letters of recommendation (having those in the field write these letters will be better than having physics professors write these letters... or at least BALANCE the two, if you really feel the physics department faculty "know you better"). Also, by getting into the field it might be easier to find research or internships in the field this summer.

It is, I think, too early to look at your other questions. You should start thinking about them at the end of next term, after you've taken say 2 upper level electives in MechE. Two courses, in my opinion, sounds like a good goal for next term.

As a slight note on particulars: I DON'T think the Physics GRE will really matter to MechE admissions committees.

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is a fundamental science that seeks to understand the fundamental principles of the universe. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and build structures, machines, and systems that solve real-world problems.

2. How can studying physics prepare me for a career in engineering?

Studying physics can provide a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills, which are essential for success in engineering. Additionally, physics courses cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, which are directly applicable to many engineering fields.

3. What are some important skills to have when applying to graduate school for engineering?

Some important skills to have when applying to graduate school for engineering include a strong academic record, research experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. Additionally, having experience with programming languages and computer-aided design (CAD) software can also be beneficial.

4. What can I expect from the graduate school application process for engineering?

The graduate school application process for engineering typically involves submitting transcripts, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a resume and a research proposal. After the initial application, there may be interviews and/or additional tests, depending on the program.

5. Are there any specific research areas or projects I should focus on for my graduate school application?

It is important to research the specific focus areas of the graduate programs you are interested in and tailor your research experience and personal statement accordingly. However, some general areas that are valued in engineering graduate school applications include sustainability, renewable energy, biotechnology, and nanotechnology.