Twice as many? 3/4 as many? How to interpret?

• Thread starter Vay
  • Start date
If you're not comfortable with fractions, you can multiply both sides of this equation by z to get x = 2z.
Vay
How do you write "twice as many x as z" algebraically?

Is this 2x=z or x=2z? How do you know?

How about "3/4 as many x as z" algebraically?

Is this (3/4)x=z or z=(3/4)x? How do you know?

An applied example:
There are twice as many apples as there are oranges, so does this mean for each orange there are 2 apples, so that if apples=x and oranges=y, then y=2x; 2y=4x, and etc?

Are these statements ambiguous to you?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is this 2x=z or x=2z?

x = 2z

How do you know?

There's no trick to it; all of the information is right there in the expression. It says that you need 2 of z to equal 1 of x, hence: x = 2z.

Vay said:

Is this 2x=z or x=2z? How do you know?
x = 2z

An equivalent problem is "x is twice as big as z." It might help to look at numbers. 50 is twice as big as 25. Would you write an equation expressing this relationship as
a) 50 = 2*25
or
b)2*50 = 25?
Vay said:
How about "3/4 as many x as z" algebraically?
x = (3/4)y
Vay said:
Is this (3/4)x=z or z=(3/4)x? How do you know?

An applied example:
There are twice as many apples as there are oranges, so does this mean for each orange there are 2 apples, so that if apples=x and oranges=y, then y=2x; 2y=4x, and etc?

Are these statements ambiguous to you?
I would not let apples = x and oranges = y. These variables should represent the number of apples or oranges.

As far as translating to equations, see what I said at the beginning of this post.

I don't know what has gotten to me, sometimes I just can't get something. It must be doing my math homework for 6 hours straight... I can't think straight anymore. Anyone else have similar experience? Or it must be something I ate...

Vay said:

I usually try to think of this in terms of ratios. The phrase "twice as many x as z" gives you an equality of ratios, x:z is 2:1. Assuming z isn't zero, we can rewrite this using fractions as [itex]\frac{x}{z} = 2 [/itex] so x = 2z.

1. What does it mean when we say "twice as many"?

"Twice as many" means that the quantity being referred to is double the original amount. For example, if there are 10 apples, saying "twice as many apples" would mean there are 20 apples in total.

2. How do you calculate for "twice as many"?

To calculate for "twice as many", you simply multiply the original amount by 2. This is because "twice" means 2 times the original amount. For example, 2 times 10 apples would give you 20 apples.

3. What about "3/4 as many"? How is that interpreted?

"3/4 as many" means that the quantity being referred to is three-fourths or 75% of the original amount. For example, if there are 8 oranges, saying "3/4 as many oranges" would mean there are 6 oranges in total.

4. How do you calculate for "3/4 as many"?

To calculate for "3/4 as many", you simply multiply the original amount by 3/4 or 0.75. This is because "3/4" represents three-fourths or 75% of the original amount. For example, 3/4 of 8 oranges would give you 6 oranges.

5. Can "twice as many" and "3/4 as many" be used interchangeably?

No, "twice as many" and "3/4 as many" cannot be used interchangeably. They have different meanings and therefore, should be used in different contexts. "Twice as many" means double the original amount while "3/4 as many" means three-fourths or 75% of the original amount.