Would like to go into networking

• Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Networking
In summary, the individual is a qualified carpenter looking for a career change and is interested in pursuing a job in the field of computers. They are considering going to college or university to learn more about networking and are looking for information from others who have chosen this as a career. They also mention living in the UK and would appreciate any links or details about the UK college/university system. They plan to meet with a careers adviser and are open to suggestions for sub-areas within computing.
MartinJH
After my recent redundancy I have finally got the opportunity to go on to something else as a career, I’m a qualified carpenter by trade and want to leave that behind for something to fall back on, if I have to. I love computers as no doubt a lot of you do and want to use them for a job. I heard the saying don't mix hobbies and work or something along those lines! But I’d love a job that involves them. I’m looking at going to college/university to learn more about networking, local at the moment. Maintaining, upgrading the usual admin stuff.
Is there any information anyone can share, especially if they have chosen this as a career. I live in the UK so if you have links and they specifically focus on the UK way of college/Uni and the involvement in detail etc then that’ll be a bonus.
I have read up for the local college and there isn’t a huge amount of detail on there, although I will arrange for a meeting with a careers adviser.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A polite bump.

Hey MartinJH.

Computing is a very diverse area. What kind of sub-area are you interesting in? Copmuter science? Computer/Electrical/Telecommunications Engineering? Business Systems?

There is quite a lot of variety in this field and it would help us if you narrowed it down a little.

1. What is networking?

Networking is the process of connecting devices and systems to share information and resources. It involves the use of hardware and software to facilitate communication between devices, such as computers, servers, and routers.

2. Why would someone want to go into networking?

There are many reasons why someone may be interested in networking. Some may be drawn to the technical aspects and problem-solving challenges, while others may be interested in the potential for career growth and job opportunities in the field. Additionally, the ever-evolving nature of technology makes networking a dynamic and exciting field to work in.

3. What skills are required to work in networking?

To work in networking, one should have a strong understanding of computer systems and networks, as well as a solid foundation in programming and coding. Other important skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, and the ability to work well in a team.

4. What are the potential career paths in networking?

There are a variety of career paths in networking, including network engineer, network administrator, information security analyst, and network architect. These roles may involve designing, implementing, and maintaining network systems, as well as troubleshooting and problem-solving any issues that may arise.

5. What are some resources for learning about networking?

There are many resources available for learning about networking, including online courses, books, and networking certifications. Some of the popular certifications include Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), CompTIA Network+, and Juniper Networks Certified Associate (JNCIA). Additionally, networking professionals often stay up to date on industry trends and developments through conferences, webinars, and online forums.