Mechanisms of synapse regulation via astrocytes

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regulation
In summary, the article "A Tale of Two Stories: Astrocyte Regulation of Synaptic Depression and Facilitation" by De Pittà et al. discusses the role of glial cells, specifically astrocytes, in modulating short-term plasticity of synapses. Through a biophysically realistic computational model, the authors show that astrocytes can have both global and local effects on the amount of neurotransmitter released during neuronal firing. They also demonstrate that the frequency of astrocytic intracellular Ca2+ oscillations plays a key role in this modulation. Overall, this study sheds light on the complex relationship between neurons and astrocytes and how it affects information transfer at synapses.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
theoretical modeling approach

Short-term presynaptic plasticity designates variations of the amplitude of synaptic information transfer whereby the amount of neurotransmitter released upon presynaptic stimulation changes over seconds as a function of the neuronal firing activity. While a consensus has emerged that the resulting decrease (depression) and/or increase (facilitation) of the synapse strength are crucial to neuronal computations, their modes of expression in vivo remain unclear. Recent experimental studies have reported that glial cells, particularly astrocytes in the hippocampus, are able to modulate short-term plasticity but the mechanism of such a modulation is poorly understood. Here, we investigate the characteristics of short-term plasticity modulation by astrocytes using a biophysically realistic computational model. Mean-field analysis of the model, supported by intensive numerical simulations, unravels that astrocytes may mediate counterintuitive effects. Depending on the expressed presynaptic signaling pathways, astrocytes may globally inhibit or potentiate the synapse: the amount of released neurotransmitter in the presence of the astrocyte is transiently smaller or larger than in its absence. But this global effect usually coexists with the opposite local effect on paired pulses: with release-decreasing astrocytes most paired pulses become facilitated, namely the amount of neurotransmitter released upon spike i+1 is larger than that at spike i, while paired-pulse depression becomes prominent under release-increasing astrocytes. Moreover, we show that the frequency of astrocytic intracellular Ca2+ oscillations controls the effects of the astrocyte on short-term synaptic plasticity. Our model explains several experimental observations yet unsolved, and uncovers astrocytic gliotransmission as a possible transient switch between short-term paired-pulse depression and facilitation. This possibility has deep implications on the processing of neuronal spikes and resulting information transfer at synapses.

PLoS Computational Biology article “A Tale of Two Stories: Astrocyte Regulation of Synaptic Depression and Facilitation” by Maurizio De Pittà, Vladislav Volman, Hugues Berry & Eshel Ben-Jacob

Biology news on Phys.org
The role of glia in synaptic plasticity gets revisited every so often as if it's totally new. There's literature dating back at least 20 years on the topic. I dabbled in this area of research years ago, but ran into technical difficulties that hindered progress and I ended up just dropping it when I couldn't find a way around those problems. I keep hoping every time a manuscript crosses my desk that someone has found a way to get further. Do you have a more complete citation for this so I can look up the article? I'm still interested in the topic, even if not actively pursuing it any more.

It's always a question to me when I model a neural network, "what determines the neuron's properties". I just set them constant based on experimental and/or theoretical considerations. The computational neurogenetics approach puts a genetic network within each neuron so that some underlying network produces the neuron's electrophysiological properties (as a function of time and/or 'environment' now instead of constant), but astrocytes have an interesting electrophysiological relationship with neurons already through gap junctions, now we have another important member of the network, rather than as a sub-network.

I wonder how many studies that use gap junction openers/closers are ignorantly affecting neuro-glial interactions (rather than neuro-neuro reactions that are generally reported).

Here's the doi and such:

De Pittà M, Volman V, Berry H, Ben-Jacob E (2011) A Tale of Two Stories: Astrocyte Regulation of Synaptic Depression and Facilitation. PLoS Comput Biol 7(12): e1002293. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002293

1. What is the role of astrocytes in regulating synapses?

Astrocytes, a type of glial cell, play a crucial role in regulating the activity of synapses in the brain. They are involved in maintaining the balance of neurotransmitters, providing structural and metabolic support to neurons, and modulating synaptic plasticity.

2. How do astrocytes regulate neurotransmitter levels in the synapse?

Astrocytes take up excess neurotransmitters from the synapse through specialized transporters, preventing overstimulation of neurons. They also release neurotransmitters and other signaling molecules that can either enhance or inhibit synaptic activity, depending on the specific receptors present on the target neurons.

3. What is the mechanism behind astrocyte-mediated synaptic plasticity?

Astrocytes can release factors that promote or inhibit the formation and strengthening of synapses, known as synaptic plasticity. This can occur through the modulation of neurotransmitter release, the regulation of calcium levels in neurons, and the secretion of growth factors that promote synapse formation.

4. How do astrocytes communicate with neurons to regulate synapses?

Astrocytes use various mechanisms to communicate with neurons, including the release of neurotransmitters, the activation of signaling pathways, and the formation of gap junctions. These communication processes allow astrocytes to modulate synaptic activity and influence neuronal function.

5. What are the potential implications of astrocyte dysfunction in synapse regulation?

Dysfunction of astrocytes can lead to imbalances in neurotransmitter levels, impaired synaptic plasticity, and altered communication between neurons. This can contribute to various neurological disorders, such as Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, and schizophrenia, highlighting the importance of understanding the mechanisms of astrocyte-mediated synapse regulation.