Solving a Tower Height with Cosine Law

In summary, the man is looking at the top of a tower at an angle of elevation of 10 degrees. Another man, 100m closer to the tower, has an angle of elevation of 20 degrees. To find the height of the tower, one can use the isosceles triangle formed by the line of sight of the closer man. The cosine law can also be used, but it may be more efficient to use the definition of the "sine" function. The cosine law can be used by finding the length of the bottom of the right triangle by the tower and then applying the formula a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc*cos(A) to solve for the height of the tower
uranium_235
Question:
A man is looking at the top of a tower. The angle of elevation to the top of the tower is 10 degrees. 100m closer to the tower, a man has an angle of elevation to the top of the tower of 20 degrees, how tall is the tower?

My Problem:
I can solve this ver easily by recognizing that an isosceles triangle is formed when you draw the line of sight of the closer man, and since one of the sides of the isosceles is 100m the other side is as well, then I solve the smaller right triangle with tangents and get an answer approximately equal to 36m. But, this unit is on Cosine law, and I don't see how I can solve this with cosine law. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
uranium_235 said:
Question:
A man is looking at the top of a tower. The angle of elevation to the top of the tower is 10 degrees. 100m closer to the tower, a man has an angle of elevation to the top of the tower of 20 degrees, how tall is the tower?

My Problem:
I can solve this ver easily by recognizing that an isosceles triangle is formed when you draw the line of sight of the closer man, and since one of the sides of the isosceles is 100m the other side is as well, then I solve the smaller right triangle with tangents and get an answer approximately equal to 36m. But, this unit is on Cosine law, and I don't see how I can solve this with cosine law. Help?

Yes you figured out well there should be an isosceles triangle somewhere.The important thing is to apply the "cosine law" in that isosceceles triangle to find the only side u don't know.That side is actually the hypotenuse in a rectangular triangle that has the tower as one of the sides.Then u just have to apply the definiton of the function "sine" and u'll "home safe".

Hi uranium_235,
You're right, this prob is much easier to solve your way, however i got x = 100*sin(20) = 34.2, not quite 36. The law of cosines is good if you know 2 sides and 1 certain angle. You could apply this law by finding the length of the bottom (along the ground) of the right triangle (by the tower) and then: a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc*cos(A), where A = 20 degrees, b = length of bottom, and c = 100m.

Herr Schlauberger's right.

And the cosine law is a little bit of a convoluted route to take to the solution. A better question would have been how far the top of the tower was from the further man, a problem where the cosine law would be the most efficient solution.

What is the Cosine Law?

The Cosine Law, also known as the Law of Cosines, is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side or angle in a triangle, given the lengths of the other two sides and the included angle.

How is the Cosine Law used to solve for tower height?

The Cosine Law can be applied to a right triangle, where one side represents the distance from the base of the tower to the observer, another side represents the height of the tower, and the included angle is the angle of elevation from the observer to the top of the tower. By plugging in the known values and solving for the unknown side, the height of the tower can be determined.

What are the units of measurement used in the Cosine Law?

The units of measurement used in the Cosine Law depend on the units used for the sides and angles of the triangle. As long as the units are consistent, the resulting height of the tower will also be in the same units.

Are there any limitations to using the Cosine Law to solve for tower height?

Yes, the Cosine Law can only be used for right triangles. Additionally, the angle of elevation must be known and the triangle must be drawn accurately.

Can the Cosine Law be used for non-right triangles?

No, the Cosine Law can only be used for right triangles. For non-right triangles, the Law of Sines or other trigonometric functions must be used to find the missing side or angle.