Can I Apply for Robotics Grad Degrees with a Dual ECE Degree?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a focus on robotics and artificial intelligence. They are considering adding a degree in Computer Science, but this may not be necessary as they can learn any necessary CS courses on their own. They are also considering a dual degree in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering or a Mechatronics degree. Ultimately, the individual believes that a bare electrical engineering degree would be sufficient for a career in robotics and may not want to spend an additional year at the university.
Nookular
I have decided to major my engineering degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, however I only start this year.

I am interested in the field of robotics, specifically the side of the programming, developing intelligent machines and artificial intelligence etc.

My question is, would I still be able to apply for the same graduate degrees with a Dual Electrical/Computer engineering degrees as I would be able to with a Computer Science and Electrical Engineering degree?

It doesn't matter to much which I take at this point, as change to Computer Science at my university basically just adds and extra year to the degree, so technically I could do both. I don't want to add Computer Science however if it will have no additional bearing.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

For robotics Dual Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering or maybe a good Mechatronics degree. But out of the two I would take Electrical and Computer Science.

A bare electrical engineering degree would be very sufficient if you want to get into robotics.
I see no reason to spend an additional year at the university.
Also, if you need any computer science courses once you graduate, you can learn them on your own. Don't forget that there is some overlap between CE and CS courses.
Another factor to consider, is that as you progress in your study, you may want to graduate sooner if you're fed up or something.

Hence, I do find EE+CE a reasonable option.

1. Can I apply for robotics graduate degrees with a dual ECE degree?

Yes, having a dual degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) can prepare you for a career in robotics. Many graduate programs in robotics accept applicants with a background in ECE, as it provides a strong foundation in both electrical and computer systems.

2. Do I need a specific concentration within my ECE degree to apply for robotics graduate programs?

No, most graduate programs in robotics do not require a specific concentration within your ECE degree. However, having a strong background in areas such as control systems, circuits, and programming can be beneficial for your studies in robotics.

3. What are some common courses in a robotics graduate program?

Some common courses in a robotics graduate program include Robot Kinematics and Dynamics, Machine Learning for Robotics, Advanced Control Systems, and Artificial Intelligence. These courses cover topics such as robot design, programming, and control, which are essential for a career in robotics.

4. Are there any specific skills or experience that I need to have to apply for robotics graduate programs?

While it may vary depending on the program, having some hands-on experience with robotics through internships, research projects, or coursework can be valuable for your application. Additionally, having strong mathematical and programming skills can also be beneficial.

5. What are some potential career paths with a robotics graduate degree?

A graduate degree in robotics can lead to various career opportunities, including roles in research and development, design and implementation of robotics systems, and project management. Graduates may also work in industries such as healthcare, manufacturing, and aerospace, where robotics technology is becoming increasingly prevalent.