Airflow design for generator box

In summary, the conversation is about designing a portable generator box with baffles and louvres for ventilation. The design is similar to a projector hush box. The main concern is calculating the minimum air in/out dimensions for maximum efficiency and consulting with the manufacturer for their specifications. The back pressure of the baffles and louvres also needs to be taken into account. Heat dissipation is a key factor in the design. Seeking advice and direction for the project.
qwerty_steve
I'm making a portable generator box, and I'm currently designing the baffles.

The design is quite similar to this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/hush%20box/Audiomechanic/ProjectorHushBox1.png

There will be an extra wall on the left and right to accommodate louvres on the exterior side of the box to prevent water coming in

I'm wondering how I would calculate the minimum air in/out dimensions through the baffles, so that the box can be as small as possible.

If I need to talk to the manufacturer of the generator about their specifications, what should I ask? I'm guessing if I knew this information I could then work out the flow spec of the fan/s.

I suppose I would need to take into account the back pressure of the baffles and lourves, but do not know where to start.

Can anyone offer any advice or point me in the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well the main thing is you'll need to know how much heat you'll want to dissipate

1. How does airflow design affect the performance of a generator box?

Airflow design plays a crucial role in the performance of a generator box. It ensures that the generator is properly cooled and allows for efficient combustion of fuel, resulting in better power output and longer lifespan of the generator.

2. What factors should be considered when designing airflow for a generator box?

Some important factors to consider when designing airflow for a generator box include the size and power output of the generator, ambient temperature and humidity, space constraints, and the location of the generator (indoors or outdoors).

3. What are the consequences of poor airflow design for a generator box?

Poor airflow design can lead to overheating of the generator, which can result in reduced power output, increased fuel consumption, and even damage to the generator components. It can also lead to higher maintenance and repair costs in the long run.

4. How can I improve the airflow design of my existing generator box?

If you have an existing generator box with poor airflow design, you can improve it by adding ventilation fans, increasing the size of air intake and exhaust vents, and ensuring proper placement of the generator within the box to allow for smooth airflow.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to airflow design for a generator box?

Yes, there are some safety concerns that need to be considered when designing airflow for a generator box. These include preventing the buildup of combustible gases, ensuring proper ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, and avoiding any potential fire hazards caused by hot air exhaust.