Why is hadronic vacum polarization to be a matrix element of product of currents?

In summary, in chapter 18.4 of Peskin&Schoeder(QFT), they discuss the annihilation of electron and positron to hadron. They use the equation σ(e^{+}e^{-})=(1/2s)ImM(e^{+}e^{-}→e^{+}e^{-}) and simplify it by ignoring the mass of the electron. They then write the equation iM=(-ie)^{2}u^{-}(k)\gamma_{\mu}v(k_{+}(-i/s)(i\Pi^{\mu\nu}_{h}(q))(-i/s)v^{-}(k_{+}\gamma_{\nu}u(k), but the speaker does not understand why
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
In chapter 18.4 Peskin&Schoeder(QFT) they consider the annihilation of electron and positron to hadron.Ignoring the mass of the electron,we have:

σ(e[itex]^{+}[/itex]e[itex]^{-}[/itex])=(1/2s)ImM(e[itex]^{+}[/itex]e[itex]^{-}[/itex]→e[itex]^{+}[/itex]e[itex]^{-}[/itex]).

We have:

iM=(-ie)[itex]^{2}[/itex]u[itex]^{-}[/itex](k)[itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]_{\mu}[/itex]v(k[itex]_{+}[/itex](-i/s)(i[itex]\Pi[/itex][itex]^{\mu\nu}_{h}[/itex](q))(-i/s)v[itex]^{-}[/itex](k[itex]_{+}[/itex][itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]_{\nu}[/itex]u(k).

I do not understand why they can write:

i∏[itex]^{\mu\nu}_{h}[/itex](q)=-e[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]d[itex]^{4}[/itex]xe[itex]^{iqx}[/itex]<T{J[itex]^{\mu}[/itex](x)J[itex]^{\nu}[/itex](0)>.

Where J[itex]^{\mu}[/itex] is the electromagnetic current of quarks.
Thank you very much for your kind helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now,I think that it is because the fluctuation of vacum(that is excited by virtue photon) making a loop that is product of two currents(not more complex including many hadronics).Is that correct?

1. What is hadronic vacuum polarization?

Hadronic vacuum polarization is a phenomenon in quantum field theory where virtual particles in the vacuum interact with an external current and produce a correction to the measured value of the current. This is due to the fact that the vacuum is not actually empty, but rather filled with a sea of virtual particles that constantly interact with each other and with external fields.

2. Why is hadronic vacuum polarization important?

Hadronic vacuum polarization is important because it affects the precision of calculations in particle physics, particularly in the study of strong interactions. It is also an essential factor in understanding the properties of the vacuum and the nature of the fundamental forces in the universe.

3. What is a matrix element of product of currents?

A matrix element of product of currents is a mathematical quantity that describes the probability amplitude for a particle to transition from one state to another under the influence of an external current. It is calculated by taking the product of the initial and final states and integrating over all possible intermediate states.

4. How does hadronic vacuum polarization relate to the matrix element of product of currents?

Hadronic vacuum polarization is directly related to the matrix element of product of currents because it is the correction factor that needs to be included in the calculation of this quantity. Without taking into account the effects of hadronic vacuum polarization, the calculated value of the matrix element would be inaccurate.

5. Can hadronic vacuum polarization be experimentally measured?

Yes, hadronic vacuum polarization can be experimentally measured through precision experiments in particle physics, such as measuring the magnetic moment of the muon or the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron. These experiments involve precise measurements of the matrix element of product of currents, which can then be compared to theoretical predictions that include the effects of hadronic vacuum polarization.