Hall Effect Current Sensor Measurement Fluctuations at low current measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with measuring DC link current using an LEM HX 03-p SP2 hall effect current transducer. Despite sampling the current every 250us and using a 2KΩ resistor to ground, there are large voltage swings on the device's output when measuring a current that is 10% of the nominal current. The output attached shows varying load measurements and the speaker mentions using a current probe that did not show these fluctuations. They ask for ideas on what may be causing the issue and if a loose connection has been ruled out.
saathish
Hi,
I was trying to measure DC link current on a switched mode power supply when I came across a quirk of my circuit. I'm using an LEM HX 03-p SP2 hall effect current transducer to measure current. I couple the output node of my current transducer to ground via a 2KΩ resistor. The device's bandwidth is 50KHz and measures a nominal current of 3A. When I try to measure a current that's 10% of the nominal current, I get large voltage swings on the device's output. I've checked that I'm measuring DC link current past any capacitors to avoid large current flows. I'm sampling the DC link current every 250us and am sending an averaged measurement every 1000 samples back to my computer. The picture that I've attached shows the output current measurement for a varying load (sort of distinguishable as discreet load steps (0.8A, 0.2A, 0.18A) in the beginning before going of to a continuously varying regime). I must pointe out that I was conducting this experiment in tandem with a current probe that did NOT show the wild fluctuations that I observed with the transducers. My ADCs are working alright, I tested them with a 50KHz signal. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on? Thanks very much!

Attachments

• Current Measurements.jpg
    Current Measurements.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 583
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like a loose connection to me. How have you eliminated that as a possibility?

1. What is the Hall Effect and how does it relate to current measurement fluctuations?

The Hall Effect is a phenomenon in which an electric current flowing through a conductor is deflected by a magnetic field perpendicular to the direction of the current. This deflection creates a measurable voltage across the conductor, which can be used to accurately measure the current. At low current measurements, the strength of the magnetic field needed to produce a measurable voltage may fluctuate, causing fluctuations in the current measurement.

2. Why do current measurement fluctuations occur at low current measurements?

Current measurement fluctuations at low measurements occur because the strength of the magnetic field needed to produce a measurable Hall voltage is very small. This makes the measurement more susceptible to external influences, such as temperature changes or electromagnetic interference, which can cause fluctuations in the magnetic field and therefore in the current measurement.

3. How can current measurement fluctuations be minimized in Hall Effect sensors?

There are several ways to minimize current measurement fluctuations in Hall Effect sensors. One way is to use a shielded sensor that is less susceptible to external influences. Another method is to increase the sensitivity of the sensor by using a larger magnetic field or increasing the number of turns in the wire. Additionally, using a precision amplifier or filtering techniques can also help reduce fluctuations in the current measurement.

4. Are there any other factors that can contribute to current measurement fluctuations in Hall Effect sensors?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to current measurement fluctuations in Hall Effect sensors. Some of these include the quality of the sensor materials and construction, the stability of the power supply, and the accuracy of the measurement circuit. It is important to carefully consider and control all of these factors in order to minimize fluctuations in the current measurement.

5. What are the potential consequences of inaccurate current measurements due to fluctuations?

Inaccurate current measurements due to fluctuations can lead to errors in data analysis and can negatively impact the performance of the system being measured. For example, in power systems, inaccurate current measurements can cause incorrect load calculations and inefficient energy usage. In medical devices, fluctuations in current measurements can result in incorrect dosages of medication being administered. Therefore, it is crucial to minimize current measurement fluctuations in order to ensure accurate and reliable data.