Understanding the Charge to Mass Ratio of a Singly Ionized Benzene Molecule

• Thread starter Alouette
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "The charge to mass ratio for a singly ionized benzene molecule is e/(78u)=1235712.07908557C/kg." It is clarified that q = 1.602 x 10-19 and m = 78*u = 1.295 x 10-25, and the context of the equation is explained. The large given number is used as the value for e/m in subsequent parts of the question. It is also mentioned that the mass unit used is amu or dalton.
Alouette
Just having trouble determining what they mean by "The charge to mass ratio for a singly ionized benzene molecule is e/(78u)=1235712.07908557C/kg."

For this, what would be the charge and what would be the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
The single charge is a fundamental charge (equal to that on a proton, since 'singly ionized' means that the molecule has lost a single electron). The mass unit is an amu: atomic mass unit, also known as a dalton. Equivalent to 1.660538921 x 10-27 kg.

gneill said:
The single charge is a fundamental charge (equal to that on a proton, since 'singly ionized' means that the molecule has lost a single electron). The mass unit is an amu: atomic mass unit, also known as a dalton. Equivalent to 1.660538921 x 10-27 kg.

I see. So to clarify q = 1.602 x 10-19 & m = 78*u = 1.295 x 10-25?

Alouette said:
I see. So to clarify q = 1.602 x 10-19 & m = 78*u = 1.295 x 10-25?

Those are the numbers.

But where does that large given number come in?

Alouette said:
But where does that large given number come in?

I have no more information than what you stated in the first post. Where did you get the number, and in what context?

Ah well I figured it out, what they mean is e/m = charge to mass ratio. The context doesn't add much to figuring out what it means however, it just sets up the question.

As in every time e/m is encountered for the rest of the question, 1.26 x 106 (the long number of C/kg units) would be its value, which makes sense since it is asking for charge over mass. Kind of tricky too though...

I had initially thought we needed to find the individual values of q and m, which is why I asked where the large number came into play. Thanks for the info about amu though!

Last edited:

1. What do the symbols and numbers in the equation represent?

The symbols in an equation represent different variables or quantities, while the numbers represent their respective values. It is important to understand the meaning of each symbol in order to correctly read and interpret the equation.

2. How do I know what operation to use when solving the equation?

The operations used in an equation are typically indicated by the symbols between the variables and numbers. Addition is represented by a plus sign (+), subtraction by a minus sign (-), multiplication by an asterisk (*), and division by a forward slash (/). Additionally, the order of operations (PEMDAS) should be followed when solving equations.

3. Can the equation be solved for different values?

Yes, equations can be solved for different values depending on the given information or desired outcome. This is why it is important to understand the meaning of each symbol in the equation and how they relate to each other.

4. What if the equation contains variables with exponents?

Equations with variables raised to a power (exponents) can be solved using exponent rules and algebraic manipulation. It is important to remember to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation in order to maintain equality.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and your solution to visually confirm if they intersect at the same point.