Reusing an attachment from an old thread in a new one

• Thread starter NotAName
  • Start date
In summary, the user is having trouble reusing attachments from previous threads in a new thread. They tried to use the attachment manager, but it didn't work, so they tried using the attachment's URL instead. However, this also resulted in an error message. The user then wonders if this issue is because the previous thread is locked and asks for a solution. Another user suggests using the image tag instead, and the original user realizes this may also apply to attachments that are not images. Finally, they are advised to simply post the link to the attachment without using any tags.
NotAName
Sorry if this is something obvious but when I try to use some attachments I've used in a different thread it won't let me attach them in a new thread.

I take it that they do this to save space and to get you to reuse attachments but I can't see how to reuse them in my new thread without renaming the file and subverting the system.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Renaming won't help. You can use the url of the attachment and link it using the picture link.

I tried that also and it says that the file is invalid. IE I opened the image in the other thread, right clicked and chose "copy image URL" and pasted that into the "upload file from url" box on the manager and hit upload, it tells me the file is invalid in a little message at the top of the manager.

I then tried to just use the url directly off the thumbnail but got the same error.

Could it be because that thread is locked? I'm not posting the same thing really at all, the images are just useful for more than one discussion surrounding the same topics.

What is the url/attachment in question?

Do this:

Code:
[noparse][ATTACH=full]151816[/ATTACH][/noparse]

Attachments

• attachment.php?attachmentid=45732&d=1333167224.png
    attachment.php?attachmentid=45732&d=1333167224.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 122
Oh, I got so focused on using the attachment manager I forgot there might be an image tag, thanks!

Does this same issue exist for attachments that are not images? How do we deal with that?

lugita15 said:
Does this same issue exist for attachments that are not images? How do we deal with that?
Just post the link to it, without any tags.

1. Can I reuse an attachment from an old thread in a new one?

Yes, you can reuse an attachment from an old thread in a new one as long as the attachment is still relevant and appropriate for the new thread. However, it is important to make sure that the attachment is not altered or manipulated in any way that may change its original meaning or context.

2. Is it ethical to reuse attachments from old threads?

It is generally considered ethical to reuse attachments from old threads as long as they are relevant and appropriate for the new thread. However, it is important to give proper credit to the original source and obtain permission if necessary.

3. How do I know if an attachment is still relevant for a new thread?

You can determine if an attachment is still relevant for a new thread by carefully reviewing its content and considering if it adds value or supports the discussion in the new thread. If the attachment no longer serves its original purpose or is outdated, it may not be suitable for reuse.

4. Can I edit an attachment before reusing it in a new thread?

No, it is not recommended to edit an attachment before reusing it in a new thread. Altering an attachment may change its original meaning or context and could potentially mislead other readers. It is best to use the attachment as it is or find a more suitable one for the new thread.

5. What are the benefits of reusing attachments from old threads in new ones?

Reusing attachments from old threads in new ones can save time and effort, as well as provide additional support and evidence for the discussion. It also allows for a more comprehensive and well-rounded conversation by incorporating previous discussions and perspectives.