Help with 'elementary' question

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elementary
In summary, silicon and phosphorus are both covalent substances, but silicon has a much higher melting temperature due to its ability to form tetrahedral or square-planar geometry, creating more stable bonding. This is in contrast to phosphorus, which has weaker bonds due to its additional electron preventing it from forming stable bonding. Additionally, the network covalent structure of silicon compounds results in higher bond energy, contributing to their higher melting point.
Bladibla
'Silicon and phosphorus are both covalent substances, but silicon has a much
higher melting temperature than phosphorus'

Explain this statement.

That was the question..im a bit stuck on it. I don't usually ask here, but I am out of ideas for this for now..

I first thought of the electronic configuration of the two elements, with Si having 2p2 and P having 2p3.

I first thought the number of molecular orbitals might be larger for Phosphurous, but found out the question was asking the reason for the opposite! doh!

If you need more detail for my effort put into this question, ill gladly post.. however, i need some help with this question. Thanks in advance to those who help.

EDIT: i think it has to do something with the shape and structure of the molecules the atoms form when they covelently bond with other atoms. I am off to research, but thanks to anyone who helps..

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If there are only phosphorus or silicon atom, then they will have to combine with themselves, so silicon has the ability to form tetrahedral or square-planar geometry as carbon does with structures we know (respectively, diamond and graphite). Obviously, the bonding ability comes from the available electron configuration, so phosphorus has one additional electron, which prevents them making a very stable bonding as silicon does. This is why phosphorus has much weaker bonds than silicon.

chem_tr said:
If there are only phosphorus or silicon atom, then they will have to combine with themselves, so silicon has the ability to form tetrahedral or square-planar geometry as carbon does with structures we know (respectively, diamond and graphite). Obviously, the bonding ability comes from the available electron configuration, so phosphorus has one additional electron, which prevents them making a very stable bonding as silicon does. This is why phosphorus has much weaker bonds than silicon.

Thanks for the quick reply! o:)

Just another question. Since you said silicon has more stable bonding, does that mean the tetrahedral shape is more thermodynamically stable than bonds formed by phosphorus?

I ask this because carbon structures, such as graphite, have more thermodynamically (but not physically) stable structure than the other structure diamond (tetrahedral).
So therefore can i conclude,
'tetrahedral bond structure is thermodynamically LESS stable than a sheet bond structure (of graphite) but it IS more stable than the phosphurous bonding structure (trigonal bipyramid?)'

Last edited:
I am not sure what kind of shape will phosphorus atom show in bonding, but it is obvious from the configurations that the shape is not tetrahedral, so it is not as stable as a tetrahedral framework.

I don't agree with you about thermodynamical stability of graphite towards diamond, graphite structure may be kinetically favored, but eventually diamond is much more stable (thermodynamic). However, treat this still a discussion, I have no certain knowledge about it.

I think bond energy is also concerned. Silicon compound bonds in a network covalent structure which has extremely high bond energy while phosphorus does not. This means that breaking intermolecular bonds requires more energy, and thus the higher melting point.

1. What is an "elementary" question?

An "elementary" question refers to a basic or fundamental question that is usually asked at the start of a topic or subject. It is usually meant to establish a foundation of understanding before moving on to more complex concepts.

2. Why is it important to ask "elementary" questions?

Asking "elementary" questions allows us to build a strong understanding of a topic by starting with the basics. It also helps to clarify any confusion or misconceptions that may exist. Additionally, it allows us to make connections and build upon our knowledge as we progress to more advanced concepts.

3. How do you know if a question is "elementary"?

A question can be considered "elementary" if it focuses on basic information, definitions, or concepts that are essential to understanding a topic. It may also be a question that is commonly asked by beginners or those new to the subject.

4. Can advanced learners benefit from asking "elementary" questions?

Yes, advanced learners can benefit from asking "elementary" questions as it allows them to review and solidify their understanding of foundational concepts. It also helps them to identify any gaps in their knowledge and address them before moving on to more complex material.

5. How can I encourage others to ask "elementary" questions?

To encourage others to ask "elementary" questions, create a safe and non-judgmental environment where all questions are welcomed and valued. Be patient and provide clear and thorough explanations. You can also lead by example by asking "elementary" questions yourself and showing the importance of building a strong foundation of understanding.