Why is heisenberg uncertainty not a limit of technology?

In summary,The uncertainty principle is a property of an electron, not a limit of our measuring ability. It applies to all kinds of "wave packets", and can be derived from the mathematics of Fourier analysis.
tom.stoer said:
Photons are particles (particle-like excitations) of the quantized electromagnetic field in QED; they are not particles of classical electromagnetic waves of Maxwell's theory; Maxwell's theory explicitly rules out particle-like behavior of the electromagnetic field!

TrickyDicky said:
You completely missed my point...

Anyway I don't think there is probably much point in arguing about this since if you were just referring to the classical wave theory of course I agree with you, I was more trying to confront the macroscopic wave behaviour with what we know about the microscopic behaviour of matter and fields. Certainly not trying to say here that the classical theory picture applies in the quantum realm.

To go back on topic, I think what jtbell was saying about waves, HUP and Fourier analysis was spot on. Quantization(and therefore the introducing of noncommutation /HUP) of classical fields and matter has much more to do with the microscopic wave nature (in the modern sense) of matter and fields than it is usually acknowledged. The kind of counterintuitive thing is that at the same time quantization is what allows also the quantum particle behaviour of matter and fields, the fact that unlike the classical particles we cannot know simultaneously momentum and position is then an unavoidable consequence of the quantum wave nature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, This is my first entrance into the Physics Forum so I'll ask a naive question. If an electron wave packet collapses into a particle, wouldn't it have to have a definite position and momentum in a single instant? Particularly if we don't observe it.

Rosen said:
Hello, This is my first entrance into the Physics Forum so I'll ask a naive question. If an electron wave packet collapses into a particle, wouldn't it have to have a definite position and momentum in a single instant? Particularly if we don't observe it.

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Rosen!

If you don't observe it, it doesn't collapse. But you can choose what basis you want to observe it.

The collapse of the wave function places the electron into an eigenstate on that specific basis. Let's say it is position. Then the non-commuting partner - momentum - is undefined. Same for other pairs of non-commuting properties. So no, you cannot meaningfully say it had both position and momentum at any time.

Notice that I said "non-commuting" above. Commuting properties CAN have simultaneously well-defined values. So for example: spin and momentum can both be known, but not position and momentum.

Isn't the basics of it all that we observe differences? A completely static object would have a delta of 0 for all its observables, meaning there is nothing there to observe. A constant can be added and removed from any differential or integration, even if the constant to add would be infinite: renormalization. If one is stuck with such a non-removable singularity, it might have a physical meaning or the interpretation is wrong.