Is Your Webcam Safe? Spanish Police Arrest Suspected Trojan Horse Creator

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: No thanks! Actually, i was camming with a friend the other day, and some creepo imed me and asked if he... could watch. No thanks!
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=1&u=/pcworld/119340

Scarlet Pruitt, IDG News Service

Spanish police have arrested a man suspected of creating a Trojan horse software program capable of making secret recordings of Internet users through their Webcams and stealing confidential information.

The 37-year-old suspect is a computer programmer from Madrid identified by the initials J.A.S. Spanish Civil Guard units caught the man spying on various Net users through their Webcams when they surprised him in his home this week during an operation dubbed "Tic-Tac," they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
So your web cam could capture videos from you when you think that it is idle. First time I think of it!

I'm curious as to the exact method he used to distribute the trojan. Scary stuff to say the least.

ramollari said:
So your web cam could capture videos from you when you think that it is idle. First time I think of it!

That is the FIRST thing that I think of concerning web-cams.

i have mine stairing into the wall all the time so he is more than welcome to "hi-jack" it.

I don't own one, so he can hijack all the webcams he wants for all i care, its the other stuff that bugs me. Most webcams are really poor quality anyway, and not worth it.

franznietzsche said:
I don't own one, so he can hijack all the webcams he wants for all i care, its the other stuff that bugs me. Most webcams are really poor quality anyway, and not worth it.

haha yeah, he's going to have fun watching fuzzy people stare into their screens. =/

All the scary :devil: trojans like Sub7/BackOrifice have always been able to capture webcams coudln't they ?

:shy:

gazzo said:
haha yeah, he's going to have fun watching fuzzy people stare into their screens. =/

All the scary :devil: trojans like Sub7/BackOrifice have always been able to capture webcams coudln't they ?

i got one that took over my mouse once, it started jumping back and forth across the screen.

I' ripped that network cable out so fast I'm suprised i din't take the whole network card with it. Then a few hours in safe mode figuring out what the hell it was and killing it. Not a fun day.

gazzo said:

Yeah, I don't see how this is news, considering sub7 has been able to capture webcams for a while now, as well as do other cool things like flashing your keyboard lights, typing messages onscreen, and my personal favorite - opening the cd trays.

New Ad Attacks

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/printable/article/0,aid,118781,00.asp via music and video files. We show how they do it and how to stop them.

Andrew Brandt and Eric Dahl
From the February 2005 issue of PC World magazine

Think you're downloading a new song or video? Watch out--that file may be stuffed with pop-ups and adware.

PC World has learned that some Windows Media files on peer-to-peer (P2P) networks such as Kazaa contain code that can spawn a string of pop-up ads and install adware. They look just like regular songs or short videos in Windows Media format, but launch ads instead of media clips. When we ran the files, we noted over half a dozen pop-ups, some attempts to download adware onto our test PC, and an attempt to hijack our browser's home page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dilbert said:
i have mine stairing into the wall all the time so he is more than welcome to "hi-jack" it.
yep same is the case here! but its a real new technique! :bugeye:
i had heard about those Cdrom ones and even got though that beery screen one!
Real care one needs to have while surfing these days!

Alex said:
and my personal favorite - opening the cd trays.

That's a particularly easy one. Any spyware programm working thourgh IE can pull that off.

gazzo said:

Yah.. what's so great about watcing people at their computers? I mean, think of what you probably look like right now... no ones ever doing anything worth wihle of watching at their computers most of the time... oo, scratch that... SOME people might be doing something infront fo their computers lol.

And yah, those trojans or a good hacker could activate ur mic and camera if he wanted.

hmm, i always have my webcam hooked up and my comp always on... and my dorm room is kinda small... i can think of a few things a guy'd be able to see if they got to watch my webcam all day...

Actually, i was camming with a friend the other day, and some creepo imed me and asked if he could watch too, and i was like no... private showing, sorry, like i was nice and all. And the guy like tweaked and starting saying how he was going to watch whether i liked it or not, and that once he got something, i forget what he said he needed to do, but once he did it, he'd broadcast it off his site or something. I forget. But it was really creepy.

so, i have like spybot, and mcaffee, and i run them regularly, should i get something else? what's the best way to like, protect myself?

Condoms and pills...

Daniel.

P.S.Interesting story...:wink:

dextercioby said:
Condoms and pills...

Daniel.

P.S.Interesting story...:wink:

Thanks daniel, super helpful...

I thought this wasn't the homework help section...

Daniel.

What is meant by "careful what you download"?

"Careful what you download" refers to being cautious and selective about the files and programs downloaded from the internet onto your device.

Why is it important to be careful about what you download?

It is important to be careful about what you download because some files and programs can contain viruses, malware, or other harmful software that can damage your device or steal your personal information.

What are some tips for being careful about what you download?

Some tips for being careful about what you download include only downloading from trusted and reputable websites, scanning files and programs with antivirus software before opening them, and being cautious of pop-up ads and suspicious links.

Can downloading illegal content have consequences?

Yes, downloading illegal content such as pirated movies, music, or software can have consequences such as fines, lawsuits, and even criminal charges.

How can I protect my device from harmful downloads?

You can protect your device from harmful downloads by keeping your antivirus software up to date, avoiding downloading from unknown sources, and being cautious of emails and messages with unexpected attachments or links.