Formulae of the first edition of the Maxwell's Treatise

• Thread starter Raparicio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary: B_x dy + B_y dz + B_z dx) M = (M_x dy + M_y dz + M_z dx) \sigma = (\sigma_x dx + \sigma_y dy + \sigma_z dz) \overline{\chi}_{el} = (\overline{\chi}}_x dx + \
Raparicio
Dear Friends

I'm looking for the formulae of the first edition of the Maxwell's Treatise, of the 1873 year, with 20 equations in 20 unknowns (they are explicitly listed in the paper). It seems that the equations taught today in universities as ‘Maxwell's equations' are actually Heaviside's equations.

Has anybody this 20 formulae?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did u check the closest University library??I doubt u can find the original book of Maxwell (scanned,of course) anywhere on the internet...

Who said about Heaviside??

Bring proof...

Daniel.

I seem to remember reading that Heaviside was a major promoter of the use of our current vector notation in E&M. Before that, most people wrote out the individual equations for the x, y and z components. Certainly that would have been true in Maxwell's day. Modern vector notation wasn't even invented until around 1900, I think.

So... the 20 equations Raparicio is referring to, must be related to the individual components of what we now call Maxwell's Equations.

Gauss's Law for E and for B each give one equation, because the divergence is a scalar quantity. The two equations with the curl of E and of B, each give three equations. That's a total of eight so far.

If we add the relations between E and D, and between B and H, that's six more, for a total of fourteen.

And then there's the continuity equation for current density and charge density. But that's only one more equation, because the divergence of J is a scalar. That's fifteen equations so far. Where could the other five come from?

dextercioby said:
Did u check the closest University library??I doubt u can find the original book of Maxwell (scanned,of course) anywhere on the internet...

Who said about Heaviside??

Bring proof...

Daniel.

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Heaviside.html

IIRC,the FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM OF CLASSICAL LINEAR ELECTROMAGNETISM involves solving 22 diff.eqns.with 22 unknowns:

INPUT:
[tex] \sigma,\overline{\overline{\chi}}_{el},\overline{\overline{\chi}}_{mag},\epsilon_{0},\mu_{0} [/tex]
all presumably space and time dependent...
OUTPUT:
[tex] \vec{E}(\vec{r},t),\vec{D}(\vec{r},t),\vec{P}(\vec{r},t),\vec{H}(\vec{r},t),\vec{B}(\vec{r},t),\vec{M}(\vec{r},t),\rho(\vec{r},t),\vec{j}(\vec{r},t) [/tex]

I challenge u to come up with the 22 equations...

NOTE:Double bar on top is a notation for 2-nd rank cartesian tensors.U can denote the contracted tensor product by ":".

Daniel.

Last edited:
I think that first Maxwell's formulae were writted in "quaternions", but the Maxwell's editor thinked that were very difficult to understand. Heaviside changed it to vector formulae. I have curiosity with original formulation, truncated also with Lorenz gauge, i readed.

In my university there's no oportunity to take this book. The only version is the revised version, with this ecuations in "vectors" not in original version.

Forget history for a second,and think physics,modern physics:Are u sure 100% that there are 22 equations with 22 unknowns??

Daniel.

Raparicio said:
Dear Friends

I'm looking for the formulae of the first edition of the Maxwell's Treatise, of the 1873 year, with 20 equations in 20 unknowns (they are explicitly listed in the paper). It seems that the equations taught today in universities as ‘Maxwell's equations' are actually Heaviside's equations.

Has anybody this 20 formulae?

Here you can see the original twenty equation in twenty unknowns, together with the modern interpretation of the variables and the mapping into the vector form of the equations.

I found this site by entering maxwell original equations in google. It was about the fourth down in the resulting list. Finding things for yourself with google is a lot more rewarding than just asking someone else,

Thanks

selfAdjoint said:
Here you can see the original twenty equation in twenty unknowns, together with the modern interpretation of the variables and the mapping into the vector form of the equations.

I found this site by entering maxwell original equations in google. It was about the fourth down in the resulting list. Finding things for yourself with google is a lot more rewarding than just asking someone else,

Thanks, selfadjoint. So much times, the problem is to find the adecuate "keys" in google.

And I tried (without success) tu find in google, writting "maxwell treatise"

:blushing:

The Original Maxwell's Equations

Maxwell, actually, was not using vectors so much as differential forms and he did (in fact) make the underlying Grassmann algebra explict at one point in his treatise. He wrote much of chapter 1 on the same topics covered by more modern treatments of differential forms and integration thereof (even touching into basic homology theory with the discussion about cyclomatic number, cyclosis, or whatever he called it).

The fields (in more modern notation) were
D = (D^x dy dz + D^y dz dx + D^z dx dy)
H = (H_x dx + H_y dy + H_z dz)
E = (E_x dx + E_y dy + E_z dz)
B = (B^x dy dz + B^y dz dx + B^z dx dy),
the potentials
A = (A_x dx + A_y dy + A_z dz)
phi
the velocity, G, relative to the distinguished frame of reference, and
the sources
J = (J^x dy dz + J^y dz dx + J^z dx dy)
rho dx dy dz
and the "total" current C = J + dD/dt. There was no decomposition D = epsilon_0 E + P, with a separate polarization vector because a central thesis of Maxwell was that the vacuum, itself, was a dielectric medium with the ability to engender charge screening (thus effecting a distinction between bare vs. dressed charges -- a point he touched on), vacuum polarization (which he touched on in his thought experiment explaining the impossibility of point-like and line-like sources), and dielectric breakdown producing electromagnetic energy (the section on the "glow" phenomenon) which -- in the other context -- would have meant also the ability of the vacuum, itself, to break down and produce electromagnetic radiation (i.e. matter/anti-matter annihilation).

The distinguished frame of reference is that where electromagnetic radiation proceeds in a sphere centered on a fixed point. There was no explicit discussion of which frame might be so distinguished and what the Earth's motion relative to it was, because the section on the measurement and values of light speed only had the speed resolved to 100,000 km/sec, which is not precise enough for the Earth's motion to become an issue.

The equations posed by are NOT equivalent to the modern equations. In particular, for the electric field, he had
E = -dA/dt - grad(phi) + G x B.
If you take the *modern* definition (E = -dA/dt - grad(phi)), what this amounts to is that Maxwell's constitutive law (D = K E) becomes in modern notation
D = epsilon (E + G x B).
This is the constitutive law that is uniquely identified by the requirement that the remaining part of Maxwell's equations be invariant under the Galilean transformations that define Newtonian physics. The other constitutive law (not explicitly mentioned) would then have to be B = mu (H - G x D). There was a brief mention implying the -GxD term in a footnote to a later edition of the treatise, however.

The 4 macroscopic equations were present (div D = rho; div B = 0; curl H = C = J + dD/dt; curl E - dB/dt = 0). Maxwell wasn't clear on how the last equation meshed with the relation (E = ... + G x B). He never did a comprehensive analysis, in fact, to determine how his entire system transformed under a change in reference frame. That was the deficit Einstein picked up on and resolved.

Ohm's law (J = sigma E) was included, as well as the continuity equation (d(rho)/dt + div J = 0), and the derivation of B from the potential (B = curl A). The continuity law is deriveable and Maxwell didn't realize that early on, so the earliest form he posed for a system was actually UNDER-determined; not perfectly matched with 20 variables and 20 independent equations. The other constitutive law (B = mu H) was listed with several variants, and no clear, definitive, statement was made on what it ought to be. That's partly linked to the point made above about Maxwell not having done a clear analysis on his system to check their Galilean invariance. Had he done so, he would have clearly seen that the only relation possible is B = mu (H - G x D) and that, right there, might have raised a few eyebrows, implying as it does, a dependence of the B field on the electric displacement in frames that are in motion relative to the distinguished frame.

The Lorentz relations (D = epsilon_0 E, B = mu_0 H) therefore represent a completely INEQUIVALENT and fundamental departure from Maxwell's Galilean invariant (D = epsilon_0 (E + G x B), B = mu_0 (H - G x D)). As soon as you write down the former -- whether you realize it or not -- you're in Relativity, for they are only invariant under the LORENTZ transformations, not the Galilean transformations.

So, a major historical myth is also debunked here: Einstein did not get rid of the Aether from an "otherwise-equivalent" Aether theory; he (and Lorentz, already) posed a system of constitutive relations that were fundamentally different from Maxwell's system and never had an Aether frame in it. It's Maxwell's consitutive laws that had the G in it, not Lorentz's. The Aether version (with Maxwell's G) is NOT equivalent to the Aether-less version (with Lorentz's relations with the G). In the latter, G would be 0 in every frame of reference. In the former, G would change. They are completely different, empirically, and have different empirical consequences.

1. What is the significance of the first edition of Maxwell's Treatise?

The first edition of Maxwell's Treatise is considered a groundbreaking work in the field of electromagnetism. It laid the foundation for modern theories and equations related to electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. How many formulae are included in the first edition of Maxwell's Treatise?

The first edition of Maxwell's Treatise includes a total of 20 formulae, which were later expanded upon in subsequent editions.

3. Are the formulae in the first edition of Maxwell's Treatise still applicable today?

While some of the formulae have been modified or improved upon in modern times, many of the original formulae from the first edition are still used in current theories and calculations.

4. Did Maxwell develop all of the formulae in the first edition of his Treatise?

No, Maxwell built upon the work of other scientists and mathematicians, such as Michael Faraday and André-Marie Ampère, to develop the formulae in his Treatise.

5. How did the first edition of Maxwell's Treatise impact the scientific community?

The first edition of Maxwell's Treatise sparked significant interest and debate among scientists, leading to further research and advancements in the field of electromagnetism. It also helped establish Maxwell as one of the most influential scientists in history.