The mechanics of calculating Reduced Density Matrices

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate reduced density matrices, specifically in the case of a bi-partite state for Alice and Bob's particles. The first method mentioned involves taking the trace over Bob's matrix and multiplying this scalar value by all of Alice's matrix. The second method, which is deemed to be correct, involves taking the partial trace of the whole density matrix with respect to Alice's or Bob's state space. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and explanation on the basics of taking the trace of an arbitrary operator ρ using basis states |ai>.
QITStudent
Hi all. I'm having a little trouble in understanding precisely how to calculate reduced density matrices. No literature I've been able to get my hands on has made it clear how precisely to work out partial matrices.

For example, if we have a bi-partite state for Alice's and Bob's particles:

Phi(ab) = 3-1/2(|bo> + |a1> + |c2>)

Where |b>, |a> and |c> are superpositions of basis states |0>, |1> and |2>. Then we must have density matrix

p(ab) = 1/3 (|bo><bo| + |bo><a1| + |bo><c2| + |a1><bo| + |a1><a1| + |a1><c2| + |c2><bo| + |c2><a1| + |c2><c2|)

So then working out the reduced density matrix means that we must take the partial Trace over Bob's. However, I'm not completely clear about this part.

Does this mean that we take the trace over Bob's matrix and multiply this scalar value by all of Alice's matrix. i.e, the trace here is 3 so Alice's state will be:

p(a) = |b><b| + |b><a| + |b><c| + |a><b| + |a><a| + |a><c| + |c><b| + |c><a| + |c><c|

Or, when taking the partial trace do we eliminate any of Alice's terms that do not have a diagonal term in Bob's matrix. I.e. getting the reduced matrix as

p(a) = |b><b| + |a><a| + |c><c|

The latter seems like it should not be the case, because that would mean every reduced density matrix is diagonal. But I don't seem to be getting the required answers whenever I perform the former method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Physics news on Phys.org
QITStudent said:
Does this mean that we take the trace over Bob's matrix and multiply this scalar value by all of Alice's matrix.
Your useage of the term Bob's matrix is wrong. There is no Bob's matrix before you trace, there is only the whole density matrix. In your case, this is a 9x9 matrix.

Bob's and Alice's density matrices are the reduced density matrices, which you get by taking the partial trace of the whole density matrix with respect to Alice's resp. Bob's state space. These matrices are 3x3.

As far as the result is concerned, the second one is correct. I'm not sure where your misunderstanding comes from, so let's start with the basics. What is the trace of an arbitrary operator ρ using the basis states |ai>?

1. What is a Reduced Density Matrix?

A Reduced Density Matrix (RDM) is a mathematical object used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a system composed of multiple particles. It contains information about the probability of finding a particular combination of particles in a given quantum state.

2. How is a Reduced Density Matrix calculated?

The RDM is calculated by taking the full quantum state of a system and tracing out the variables corresponding to the particles that are not of interest. This results in a reduced state that contains all the information necessary to describe the remaining particles.

3. What is the significance of Reduced Density Matrices in quantum mechanics?

RDMs are useful in understanding the behavior of complex quantum systems, such as those with many interacting particles. They provide a simplified way to analyze the state of a system and make predictions about its behavior.

4. Can Reduced Density Matrices be used to calculate physical properties of a system?

Yes, RDMs can be used to calculate various physical properties of a system, such as energy, entropy, and correlation functions. They can also be used to study phase transitions and other phenomena in condensed matter physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Reduced Density Matrices?

While RDMs are a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, they do have some limitations. They are only applicable to systems in thermal equilibrium and cannot account for certain quantum effects, such as entanglement, that may be important in non-equilibrium systems.