Question about the set of rationals.

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of density in the reals, specifically how the rationals are dense in the reals and how this leads to the idea of measure zero. The participants also explore the idea of essential supremum and infimum and how they relate to the concept of measure zero. They also discuss the counterintuitive nature of the fact that the rationals can be covered by open intervals and still miss most of the reals. This highlights the mystery of countable rationals being dense in the uncountable reals.
cragar
We know that the rationals are dense in the reals. So between any 2 reals we can find a rational. It seems to me that we have an uncountable number of slots that each contain a rational. Like we have an uncountable number of buckets with a rational inside them.
Now obviously the rationals are countable so I am missing something.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The irrationals are dense in the reals and happen to be uncountable.

The slot analogy doesn't work.

cragar said:
We know that the rationals are dense in the reals. So between any 2 reals we can find a rational.

Yes, but you'd keep finding the same rational for many pairs of reals. There's no guarantee that between each pair of irrationals we'll find a different rational. But I agree with you, this is very counterintuitive.

Here's a similar example that's really crazy.

We know there are countably many rationals, so the rationals have a property called "measure zero." That means we can cover the rationals with a countable collection of open intervals whose total length is less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is an arbitrary real greater than zero.

To prove this, take [itex]\epsilon[/itex] really small, say 1/zillion. Doesn't matter, just pick any tiny positive real number.

We can cover the rationals with a countable collection of intervals of total length less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] as follows. The rationals are countable, so we can enumerate them as r1, r2, r3, ... Now for each rn we let I1 be an interval about rn of length less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex]/2n.

Then the sum of the lengths of the intervals is less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. We have I1 + I2 + ... < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]/21 + [itex]\epsilon[/itex]/22 + ... = [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Ok, that just proves the rationals have measure zero.

But now put the rationals back in their usual order on the number line. What we've just shown is that we can put an open interval around every rational; and still miss most of the reals. We can arrange to miss 99% of the reals, or 99.99999% of the reals, just by choosing [itex]\epsilon[/itex] small enough. In other words we visualize the number line with a little open interval around every single rational; yet almost all the reals aren't in any interval.

Personally I find this completely impossible to visualize. But we know it's true.

That's the mystery of countable rationals, dense in the uncountable reals.

Last edited:
Since the rationals are of Lebesgue measure zero (as explained above), we define some operations like supremum and infimum for nontrivial (non-measure zero) sets of the reals. These are called essential supremum and essential infimum. To give an example, take this function:
[tex]f(x)=\begin{cases}\tan(x), & \text{if }x\in\mathbb{Q} \\
\sin(x), & \text{otherwise.}
\end{cases}[/tex]
It is straightforward that, since the tangent function covers the entire reals in its range, [itex]\displaystyle \sup\{f(x)\}=\infty[/itex]. However, the function is equal to tangent if and only if x is rational. Now, since f(x) is defined over the reals, and the rationals are of measure zero in reals, this is not essential. But the sine condition covers a set that is not of measure zero and hence is essential. From this, we say that the essential supremum of f(x) is [itex]\displaystyle \mathrm{esssup}\{f(x)\}=1[/itex]. What this means is theoretically, with a random x, you have the chance to get any real number, but in practice you can only get those smaller than or equal to 1, and since [itex]\displaystyle \mathrm{essinf}\{f(x)\}=-1[/itex] due to the same logic, greater than or equal to -1. So we just span the real interval [itex](-1,1)[/itex] in practice.

I hope this gives a better understanding that what "measure zero" means.

quote by steveL27 "Yes, but you'd keep finding the same rational for many pairs of reals"
couldn't I make it so this never happened. I might be wrong.
It seems that if i did have the same rational i could just find another one that was in between it and the irrational endpoint.

1. What are the rationals in mathematics?

The rationals, in mathematics, refer to the set of numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers (numbers without decimals or fractions), including both positive and negative numbers. They are denoted by Q and can be written as a/b, where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0.

2. How are the rationals different from other number sets?

The rationals are different from other number sets, such as integers or real numbers, because they include both integers and fractions. Unlike integers, which do not have decimal representations, rationals can have repeating or terminating decimals. And unlike real numbers, which include irrational numbers (numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers), the rationals only include numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

3. What are some examples of rationals?

Examples of rationals include 1/2, -3/4, 5, and -2.75. These numbers can all be expressed as a ratio of two integers. For example, 1/2 can be written as 2/4, -3/4 can be written as -6/8, and 5 can be written as 5/1.

4. How are rationals used in mathematics?

Rationals are used in various mathematical operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They are also commonly used in solving equations and representing measurements or ratios in real-world situations. In addition, rationals are an important concept in understanding the number system and its properties.

5. Can all numbers be expressed as rationals?

No, not all numbers can be expressed as rationals. Numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, such as pi or the square root of 2, are called irrational numbers. These numbers cannot be written as a fraction and have decimal representations that do not terminate or repeat. However, all numbers can be approximated by rationals to any desired degree of accuracy.