Determining electric permittivity from time constant decay

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a slab of insulator with an unknown permittivity is placed between the plates of a capacitor to determine its value experimentally. The time constant of the capacitor in an RC circuit increases by 25% with the slab inserted, and the goal is to determine the value of permittivity in terms of εo. The conversation also mentions the use of d'Alembert wave solutions, Poynting theorem, and TEM waves, but the speaker is having trouble finding a starting point for the problem. Another person suggests considering the effects on the RC circuit and calculating them with the known permittivity.
Dergyll

Homework Statement

a slab of some insulator with an unknown permittivity ε. To determine ε experimentally I
go to the lab and insert the slab in between the plates of a capacitor whose plate spacing exactly
matches the width of the slab. I observe that the time constant of exponential decay of the
capacitor voltage in an RC circuit that I construct increases by 25% when the slab is inserted
to replace the air spacing. Determine ε in terms of εo. Explain your reasoning carefully.

Homework Equations

The problem is, I'm having troube finding a place to start. We are learning about d'Alembert wave solutions, Poynting theorem, TEM waves and such.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first thought of using the solution to the differencial equation with the decay model but that doesn't seem to help me

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start with this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what part(s) of the RC circuit do you think gets affected when you place a dielectric between the parallel plates of the capacitor in that circuit? Could you calculate that effect if you knew the permittivity?

1. What is electric permittivity?

Electric permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is represented by the symbol ε and is measured in units of farads per meter (F/m).

2. How is electric permittivity determined from time constant decay?

Electric permittivity can be determined by measuring the time constant of a material's decay in an electric field. The time constant is the amount of time it takes for the electric field to decrease by a factor of 1/e, where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718.

3. What is the relationship between time constant decay and electric permittivity?

The time constant is directly proportional to the electric permittivity of a material. This means that as the electric permittivity increases, the time constant also increases, and vice versa.

4. How accurate is the method of determining electric permittivity from time constant decay?

The accuracy of this method depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken and the assumptions made about the material being tested. In ideal conditions, it can provide a relatively accurate measurement of electric permittivity.

5. What are some practical applications of determining electric permittivity from time constant decay?

This method is commonly used in the development of electronic devices, such as capacitors and insulators, as well as in material analysis and characterization. It can also be applied in the study of dielectric properties of various materials, including liquids and solids.