Identifying the Electrophile in But-2-ene and Bromine Reaction

In summary, the compound that is formed is H3C-CH(ONO2)-CHBr-CH3. The carbon is directly bonded to oxygen, and the oxygen directly bonded to NO2. O- is created from the alcohol group and the H+ is removed.
chewchun

Homework Statement

But-2-ene reacts with bromine in the presence of concentrated aqueous sodium nitrate to give the following compound
CH3-C(H)(ONO2)-C(H)(Br)-CH3

Which of the following statement is correct.
a.the electrophile is NO2+
b.Only 2,3-dibromobutane is formed.
c.Resultant solution shows optical activity.
d.Mechanism involves an initial electrophilic attack followed by nucleophilic attack

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that B is out cause you can have -Br and -OH instead of just 2-Br.
C is also out because the compound can be attacked from both side(Trigonal planar)
A or D is correct.D makes sense to me but isn't NO2+ a electrophile. In this case i would presume NO2+ is somehow formed which attacks OH group...If not what is the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
See, the halide molecule also polarize and form halide electrophile, in this case, Br+ can form. NaNO3 cannot give NO2+ ion, as it is obtained by "protonation" of nitric acid, which is not a simple task, considering nitric acid itself is very strong acid. That's what I feel.

Name these ions... NO3- and NO2+

Which one is present in your proposed mixture?

Care to elaborate, as chemisttree asked?

UPDATE: I have formed on paper the compound H3C-CH(ONO2)-CHBr-CH3, considering Nitrate group, albeit I am afraid I may have have bent some rules (which looks like the case, forming acid out of aqueous nitrate ions) And I have reached to following answers: C, D.

Last edited:
AGNuke said:

Care to elaborate, as chemisttree asked?

UPDATE: I have formed on paper the compound H3C-CH(ONO2)-CHBr-CH3, considering Nitrate group, albeit I am afraid I may have have bent some rules (which looks like the case, forming acid out of aqueous nitrate ions) And I have reached to following answers: C, D.

The answer was given to be D only.
The carbon is directly bonded to oxygen,and the oxygen directly bonded to NO2.So it seems to be O- and NO2+?And i presume the O- to be created from a alcohol group and the H+ is removed...
Answer is not C as the compound is trigonal planar and can be attacked from both sides,hence a racemic mixture..
But i don't understand how C(O)(NO2) is formed as it seems impossible to form NO2+ from this reaction...

Esterification I guess.

1. What is butene?

Butene is a hydrocarbon compound with the chemical formula C4H8. It is an alkene, meaning it contains a carbon-carbon double bond. There are four isomers of butene: 1-butene, cis-2-butene, trans-2-butene, and isobutene.

2. What is the difference between organic and inorganic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of compounds containing carbon, while inorganic chemistry focuses on compounds that do not contain carbon. Butene is an example of an organic compound because it contains carbon atoms bonded together.

3. How is butene used in industry?

Butene is primarily used as a feedstock for the production of other chemicals, such as butadiene, which is used in the manufacture of synthetic rubber. It is also used as a solvent and in the production of plastics, fuel additives, and detergents.

4. Is butene harmful to the environment?

Butene is classified as a volatile organic compound (VOC), which can contribute to air pollution and smog formation. However, it is not considered a major environmental pollutant and does not pose a significant threat to human health or the environment when properly handled and disposed of.

5. Can butene be found naturally?

Butene is not typically found in nature, but it can be produced by certain plants and microorganisms. However, the amount produced is very small and not enough to be commercially significant.