Is Adware Becoming More Sophisticated and Virus-Like?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Virus
In summary, McAfee ASAP is effective against viruses, but users should take other precautions as well.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
My company uses McAfee ASAP (anti-virus) for security against viruses. It runs continuously and monitors all internet traffic.

Since Friday, the anti-virus software was activated just after I entered a couple of websites. One seemed to be a 'legitimate' technical site, while the other was site with information on music and song lyrics.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

It seems that some adware now contains coding similar to that contained in viruses or trojans. The objective seems to be the same - get information from one's computer - not just one's internet activity.

I have a firewall. I have set the browser privacy to Medium High and set many Security features to prompt for action so as to prevent automatic downloads. I will probably increase security further.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would say that's not possible unless the pages use active-x controls which are every web-surfers unknown gateway to a computer polluted with spywares and adwares. I am a firefox user and installed ad-blocks and took reasonably good measures , so everythings fine with my PC box.

-- AI

All the more reason to use anything but windows really.

Astronuc, don't use Microsoft Internet Explorer. About 6 months ago I've completely got fed up with constant popups, malicious software installs, that not even your firewall will ever prevent, and other numerous holes in this trully poorly written browser. Microsoft themselves have admitted that the flaw itself is fundumental in their design and can not be changed now. I've switched to Mozilla Firefox 1.0 and it works like a charm, without any of those bugs, plus has other great features that I'm sure you'll find useful.

yeh firefox is great, far superior to IE... The irony is I cannot use it for internet banking because the banks I use, need active-x to work... So I use FF for everything but the thing I need most security with Internet Banking :(

1. What is a virus code in pop-ups/adware?

A virus code in pop-ups/adware is a malicious software that is designed to disrupt the normal functioning of a computer or device. It is often hidden within pop-up advertisements or adware, and can cause harm to the system by stealing personal information, corrupting files, and slowing down performance.

2. How does virus code in pop-ups/adware infect my computer?

Virus code in pop-ups/adware can infect a computer through various means, such as clicking on malicious pop-up ads, downloading infected files, or visiting compromised websites. It can also spread through email attachments or by exploiting vulnerabilities in software.

3. What are the signs of a virus code in pop-ups/adware?

The signs of a virus code in pop-ups/adware can vary, but some common signs include frequent pop-up ads, slow performance, sudden crashes, and changes in browser settings. It may also cause the computer to freeze or display unusual error messages.

4. How can I protect my computer from virus code in pop-ups/adware?

To protect your computer from virus code in pop-ups/adware, it is important to have a reputable antivirus software installed and regularly updated. Avoid clicking on suspicious pop-up ads or downloading files from unknown sources. Keep your operating system and software up-to-date and be cautious when opening email attachments.

5. How can I remove virus code in pop-ups/adware from my computer?

Removing virus code in pop-ups/adware can be a complex process and may require the use of specialized tools. It is recommended to seek the help of a professional or use a reputable antivirus software. Additionally, you can try to uninstall any recently downloaded software and delete any suspicious files or programs. It is also important to change your passwords for any compromised accounts.