Trip to Moon: Escape Earth's Gravity

• Thread starter trolling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, to plan a trip to the moon without a traditional spaceship, one must leave the Earth with enough speed to reach the moon. Some helpful information includes the mass and radius of the Earth and moon, the distance between them, and the gravitational constant. Using the work-energy theorem and taking into account the potential energy from both the Earth and the Moon, one can calculate the required launch speed and distance from the center of the Earth. It may also be beneficial to plan an orbital trajectory to decrease the required launch speed.
trolling

Homework Statement

You plan to take a trip to the moon. Since you do not have a traditional spaceship with rockets, you will need to leave the Earth with enough speed to make it to the moon. Some information that will help during this problem:
mass of Earth = 5.9742 x 10^24 kg
radius of Earth = 6.3781 x 10^6 m
mass of moon = 7.36 x 10^22 kg
radius of moon = 1.7374 x 10^6 m
distance from Earth to moon = 3.844 x 10^8 m (center to center)
G = 6.67428 x 10^-11 N-m2/kg2
1) On your first attempt you leave the surface of the Earth at v = 5534.0 m/s. How far from the center of the Earth will you get?

Homework Equations

Wnet = ΔKE
(G * M * m)((1/rf) - (1/ro)) = (m * v^2)/2, M = mass of Earth & m = mass of satellite
(G * M)((1/rf) - (1/ro)) = (v^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

ro = radius of Earth (?)

(rf^-1 - ro^-1) = (.5v^2)/(G * M)
rf^-1 = ((v^2)/(2G*M)) - (ro^-1)
rf = (((v^2)/(2GM)) - (ro^-1))^-1

I plugged in the corresponding values, but they seem to be wrong. I got 26022994.95 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
ro = radius of Earth (?)

(rf^-1 - ro^-1) = (.5v^2)/(G * M)
rf^-1 = ((v^2)/(2G*M)) - (ro^-1)
rf = (((v^2)/(2GM)) - (ro^-1))^-1
I'm not sure I follow the reasoning behind these manipulations ... did you try to use conservation of energy?

Will you need to include the Moon's contribution?

Simon Bridge said:
I'm not sure I follow the reasoning behind these manipulations ... did you try to use conservation of energy?

Will you need to include the Moon's contribution?

I tried using the work-energy theorem (W = ΔKE) & applied it to the problem. I'm not too sure about using the moon; I was hoping someone would know about whether to use it or not.

The sum of the potential energy with respect to the Moon, the potential energy with respect to the Earth and the kinetic energy is constant.

I would be tempted to treat it as an orbital problem. Take advantage of the Earth's daily rotation to choose an optimal launch location and direction (thus decreasing your required Earth-relative launch speed). I think a pretty good first approximation would be to plan a Hohmann style orbit for maximum apogee vs energy required.

It might be worthwhile to determine the radial distance where the Moon's influence just equals the Earth's in terms of acceleration due to gravity -- if you can cross that line with the right Moon/Earth/ spacecraft geometry, you can 'fall' the rest of the way to the Moon.

What voko said - but I'd put it as "total kinetic energy + total potential energy = constant" ... you can work out the craft's potential energy due to the Earths gravity and due to the Moon's gravity and combine them for total potential energy. (The moon will help your spacecraft travel towards it.)

the "orbital problem" treatment gneill mentioned is how you'd actually go about it IRL ... but may be more than your course wants from you. The question seems to be interested only in the radial contributions - so you'd have to aim really really carefully to hit the moon.

gneill also talked about the radial distance where the Moon's influence is equal (and opposite) to the Earth's. This means you won't need to start out at the escape velocity from the surface of the Earth just to get to the Moon. If you arrange your initial kinetic energy to be just enough to get you there (IRL, you need just a bit more than that or it's 50:50) - the Moon will pull you the rest of the way in. I suspect this last bit is what the lesson is trying to get you to realize.

Use conservation of energy.

@Trolling: how did you get on so far?

1. What is the purpose of a trip to the moon?

The purpose of a trip to the moon is to conduct scientific research, explore potential resources, and to advance human knowledge and understanding of space and our place in the universe.

2. How long does it take to escape Earth's gravity and reach the moon?

It takes approximately 3 days to escape Earth's gravity and reach the moon. However, the exact time may vary depending on the type of spacecraft and trajectory used.

3. What challenges do astronauts face when escaping Earth's gravity?

Astronauts face several challenges when escaping Earth's gravity, including the intense acceleration forces during launch, maintaining proper orientation and trajectory, and ensuring the spacecraft and all systems are functioning properly.

4. How does escaping Earth's gravity differ from escaping the moon's gravity?

Escaping Earth's gravity requires significantly more energy and thrust compared to escaping the moon's gravity. This is because Earth has a much larger mass and therefore a stronger gravitational pull.

5. How do scientists ensure the safety of a trip to the moon?

Scientists ensure the safety of a trip to the moon by conducting extensive research and testing on spacecraft, equipment, and procedures, as well as providing rigorous training for astronauts. Additionally, continuous communication and monitoring systems are in place to address any potential issues that may arise during the journey.