A ball being shot from level ground with a twist

In summary, the problem involves finding the launch angle for a ball shot from level ground towards a wall at a distance "x". The graph of the y component of velocity is given as a function of x, with the equation y=-.5x+5, [0, 20]. The attempt at a solution involved using kinematics equations and creating a triangle with the horizontal and vertical components of velocity and initial velocity as the hypotenuse. However, this method was unsuccessful due to the unknown time. The solution suggests using the dependency of x on time to solve the problem.
mooha
Not a literal twist! It's just a bit more complex.

Homework Statement

A ball is to be shot from level ground toward a wall at a distance "x". I am given the graph of the y component of velocity just as it would reach the wall, as a function of that distance x(m). Here's the equation of the line:y=-.5x+5, [0, 20]
What is the launch angle?

Homework Equations

v = vo +at
x = xo + Vot + .5at2
v2 = (vo)2 + 2a(x - xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I wrote out all I knew about the x and y components
y: vo = 5, a = -9.8, xo = 0
x: a=0

I attempted to created a triangle of the horizantal and vertical components of velocity and the initial velocity as the hypotenuse solve with trig. I got
sin(θ)= (5)/(V)
tan(θ)= (5)/(vox)
No help.
I really am stuck! Using kinematics, you can't find the initial velocity because you don't know the time. You can't find the time, because you don't know where in the 20 m of the trajectory the ball hit the wall (according to my interpretation of the problem) Ah! If you could help I would be so grateful!
Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x depends on time. Use this dependency.

1. What is the trajectory of a ball being shot from level ground with a twist?

The trajectory of a ball being shot from level ground with a twist depends on various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of the shot, and the amount of spin applied. Generally, the ball will follow a curved path due to the spin, resulting in a parabolic trajectory.

2. How does the spin affect the distance the ball travels?

The spin applied to a ball can greatly affect the distance it travels. Backspin can help the ball travel further, while topspin can cause it to travel a shorter distance. The direction and magnitude of the spin can also impact the distance the ball travels.

3. Can the direction of the spin be changed while the ball is in motion?

Yes, the direction of the spin can be changed while the ball is in motion. This is known as a "curveball" and can be achieved by applying a force to the side of the ball in the direction you want it to curve.

4. How does the air resistance affect the trajectory of the ball?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a ball being shot from level ground with a twist. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences drag due to air resistance which can cause it to deviate from its intended path. The amount of air resistance depends on the speed, size, and shape of the ball.

5. What are the real-life applications of studying the trajectory of a ball with a twist?

Studying the trajectory of a ball with a twist has many real-life applications, such as in sports like baseball, basketball, and tennis. Understanding the physics behind the trajectory can help players improve their skills and make more accurate shots. It also has applications in engineering and design, such as in the development of projectiles and aerodynamic objects.