Reflection and Transmission: Why Must There Be a Reflected Wave?

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for reflection between two media and the question of why there must be reflection. The speaker is puzzled about why a transmitted wave cannot be just as good of a solution. It is mentioned that it is reasonable to assume there is both a transmitted and reflected wave, and that there are certain restrictions on reflection and transmission based on conservation of energy and continuity of components across the boundary.
aaaa202
When my book derives equations for reflection between two media it simply says something like this:
Suppose a plane electromagnetic wave meets the boundary between two media. This gives rise to an incident and a reflected wave. But I am always puzzled. What is that states that there MUST be reflection? I mean a transmitted wave is also a solution to the wave equation so why can't a transmitted wave without a reflected wave be just as good as a solution. To sum up, it just all seems like guesswork to me.

Science news on Phys.org
it's reasonable to assume there is both a transmitted and a reflected wave because these include the case that there is not, i.e. when the amplitude turns out to be zero.
The change in medium leads to a difference between the incident and transmitted waves. On various grounds, such as conservation of energy, you may be able to deduce that the reflected wave has nonzero amplitude.

normal component of D and tangential component of E must be continuous across the boundary which imposes some restriction on reflection and transmission.

What is an incident wave?

An incident wave is a type of wave that is generated by a source and travels through a medium, typically in a straight line. It is characterized by its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

What is a reflected wave?

A reflected wave is a wave that bounces off a boundary or obstacle and travels in the opposite direction. It is created when an incident wave encounters a change in the medium's properties, such as density or rigidity.

What is the difference between an incident wave and a reflected wave?

The main difference between an incident wave and a reflected wave is their direction of travel. An incident wave travels towards a boundary or obstacle, while a reflected wave travels away from it. Additionally, reflected waves typically have a different amplitude and wavelength compared to the incident wave.

How do incident and reflected waves interact with each other?

When an incident wave encounters a boundary or obstacle, part of the wave's energy is reflected back as a reflected wave. This reflected wave can interfere with the incident wave, causing constructive or destructive interference, depending on their relative amplitudes and wavelengths.

What are some real-life applications of incident and reflected waves?

Incident and reflected waves have many practical applications, such as in radar technology, where an incident wave is used to detect objects and a reflected wave is used to determine their distance and location. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, and in earthquake detection and monitoring. Additionally, understanding incident and reflected waves is crucial in the design and development of structures and devices that can withstand waves, such as buildings and bridges.