Simplify in sum and difference equation

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with simplifying trigonometric expressions. The expert provides a summary of the content and gives advice on using addition and subtraction formulas for cosine and sine to solve the problems. The person expresses frustration with not understanding the concepts and wishes they were as knowledgeable as the expert. The expert encourages them to practice and offers to help further when they return.
aisha
I was never taught how to do this I was just given problems with no solutions so I don't know what to do can someone please help me I have two questions which are similar maybe if I get help with one I can solve the other one on my own.

It says simplify the following
[tex] \cos(\pi+x) + \cos (\pi-x) [/tex]
for this one i expanded cos into the brackets and simplified and got 2cospi is this correct?

and

[tex] \cos (\frac {7\pi} {10}) \cos (\frac {\pi} {5}) +\sin (\frac {7\pi} {10}) \sin (\frac {\pi} {5}) [/tex]

Help please quick! :yuck:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It says simplify the following
[tex] \cos(\pi+x) + \cos (\pi-x) [/tex]

and

[tex] \cos (\frac {7\pi} {10}) \cos (\frac {\pi} {5}) +\sin (\frac {7\pi} {10}) \sin (\frac {\pi} {5}) [/tex]
From standard trig identities:
cos(a + b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b)
cos(-e) = cos(e)
sin(-g) = -sin(g)

cos(Pi + x) + cos(Pi - x) = cos(Pi)cos(x) - sin(Pi)sin(x) + cos(Pi)cos(-x) - sin(Pi)sin(-x) =
= (-1)cos(x) - (0)sin(x) + (-1)cos(x) + (0)sin(x) =
= (-2)cos(x)

cos(7*Pi/10)cos(Pi/5) + sin(7*Pi/10)sin(Pi/5) = cos{(7*Pi/10) - (Pi/5)} =
= cos{Pi/2} =
= 0

~~

Holy moly that looks really confusing I don't understand what is going on and that doesn't look very familiar from the unit ... :cry:

[tex] \cos(\pi+x)=\cos\pi\cos x-\sin\pi\sin x=-\cos x [/tex]

[tex] \cos (\pi-x)=\cos\pi\cos x+\sin\pi\sin x=-\cos x [/tex]

Add them and see what u get.

As for the last,u have to use the identity:

[tex] \cos a\cos b+\sin a\sin b=\cos(a-b) [/tex]

See who's "a" & who's "b"...

Daniel.

EDIT:The typo was because of a missing space between \cos and b... o:)

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
[tex] \cos a\cosb+\sin a\sin b=\cos(a-b) [/tex]

That, BTW, should be :

[tex] \cos a\cos b+\sin a\sin b=\cos(a-b) [/tex]

Check the code by clicking on the formula,it (the "cos b") was there...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Check the code by clicking on the formula,it (the "cos b") was there...

Daniel.

Yes, I know it was, but you forgot the space.

:blushing: :redface: :cry: :frown: You got me...Yes,as the Americans say :"S*** happens".Today I've had a lousy day...:yuck:

daniel.

[tex] \cos(\pi+x)=\cos\pi\cos x-\sin\pi\sin x=-\cos x [/tex]

[tex] \cos (\pi-x)=\cos\pi\cos x+\sin\pi\sin x=-\cos x [/tex]

What are u doing to these pies and xs to get -cosx? How do u get that?

There's no "pie" there...:tongue2: I used the fact that
[tex] \cos \pi =-1 [/tex]
[tex] \sin \pi =0 [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
There's no "pie" there...:tongue2: I used the fact that
[tex] \cos \pi =-1 [/tex]
[tex] \sin \pi =0 [/tex]

Daniel.

See I don't know that :cry: wish I was as smart as you, ahhhhh so what do I do for the other question?? This is so confusing, I hate these sum and difference identities I don't know what to do with them :cry:

What about the other one...?In post #2 it was solved...

Daniel.

here is the question in post 2 the person wrote [tex] cos [(\frac {7\pi}{10}) -(\frac {\pi} {5})] = \cos (\frac {\pi} {2}) = 0 [/tex]

How come I don't know what is going on what is happening where are these numbers comming from how do I do this on my own?

So the final simplified answer for this problem is 0? Can someone please help me understand how to do these problems I don't have a clue I know how to evaluate sin(75 degrees) but that's about it because it uses special triangles but these problems are totally confusing for me . :frown: :yuck:

Last edited:
So what...?That's perfectly correct...

Daniel.

:tongue2: ahhhhhhhh meany ur a smarty pant that's y u know how to do this if ud explain maybe i'd get it too :grumpy:

Label
[tex] \frac{7\pi}{10}=a [/tex]
and
[tex] \frac{\pi}{5}=b [/tex]
And then compute
[tex] \cos a\cos b+\sin a\sin b [/tex]

using addition and subtraction formulas for cosine and sine.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Label
[tex] \frac{7\pi}{10}=a [/tex]
and
[tex] \frac{\pi}{5}=b [/tex]
And then compute
[tex] \cos a\cos b+\sin a\sin b [/tex]

using addition and subtraction formulas for cosine and sine.

Daniel.

addition and subtraction formulas for cos and sin?

My dear god,the formulas:
[tex] \cos (a-b),\cos(a+b),\sin(a-b),\sin(a+b) [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.I'm going to bed now,so be a nice girl and don't make anything bad till i return.:wink:

What does it mean to simplify in a sum or difference equation?

Simplifying in a sum or difference equation means to combine like terms and reduce the expression to its simplest form, without changing the value of the equation.

Why is it important to simplify in a sum or difference equation?

Simplifying in a sum or difference equation makes the equation easier to understand and work with. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships within the equation.

What are the steps to simplify in a sum or difference equation?

The steps to simplify in a sum or difference equation are: 1) Combine like terms by adding or subtracting coefficients, 2) Remove any parentheses by distributing the values inside, 3) Combine any constants or coefficients, and 4) Simplify any remaining terms.

Can I simplify in a sum or difference equation without changing the value of the equation?

Yes, simplifying in a sum or difference equation should not change the value of the equation. If the equation is simplified correctly, the value should remain the same.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying in a sum or difference equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying in a sum or difference equation are: 1) Forgetting to distribute values inside parentheses, 2) Combining unlike terms, 3) Misplacing negative signs, and 4) Forgetting to simplify fully.