Cosmology - given omega_m and a static universe, find the range of values of q_0

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between q_{0}, \Omega_{m,0}, \lambda, and \Omega _{\lambda}, and the definition of deceleration parameter. The possible range of values for q_{0} is related to the observation of cosmic acceleration at z=0, and the minimum value of lambda can be found using the equation q_{0}=\frac{1}{2}\Omega_{m,0}-\Omega _{\lambda}. The conversation also mentions using the Friedmann equations to find an expression for \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} in order to better understand the relationship between these variables.
dacruick
Hi there,

the full question is as follows:

Suppose omega_m = 0.2. If we observe cosmic acceleration at z=0, what is the possible range of values of q_0? What is the minimum value of lambda? What is omega_total?

so I'm having trouble with the relationship between q[itex]_{0}[/itex], [itex]\Omega[/itex][itex]_{m,0}[/itex], [itex]\lambda[/itex], and [itex]\Omega[/itex] [itex]_{\lambda}[/itex].

To be honest, i don't even really understand what q[itex]_{0}[/itex] represents.

I've found from a source that q[itex]_{0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\Omega[/itex][itex]_{m,0}[/itex]-[itex]\Omega[/itex] [itex]_{\lambda}[/itex].

Could anyone explain to me how these all relate and possibly point me in the right direction here?

Thanks!

These are not homework questions and will never be submitted. My professor always gives us a bunch of practice problems that are representative of questions that will be on our quizzes. It is more important that we understand the point of the question rather than have a mathematical answer.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Remember the definition for deceleration parameter [itex] q = -\frac{\ddot{a} a}{\dot{a}^2 } = -\frac{1}{H^2} \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} [/itex]. That should give you immediately answer to the first question. Then use the Friedmann equations to massage an useful expression for [itex]\frac{\ddot{a}}{a} [/itex]

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the fundamental laws and processes that govern the universe.

2. What is omega_m and q_0 in cosmology?

Omega_m (Ωm) is the symbol used in cosmology to represent the fraction of the total energy density of the universe that is made up of matter. This includes both visible matter (such as stars and galaxies) and dark matter. Q_0 (q0) is the deceleration parameter, which measures the rate of change of the expansion of the universe. It is related to the density and curvature of the universe, as well as the type of energy (matter, radiation, or dark energy) that dominates the expansion.

3. How is a static universe defined in cosmology?

A static universe is one in which the expansion of the universe is not accelerating or decelerating, but remaining constant. This means that the scale of the universe stays the same over time and there is no significant change in the distribution of matter and energy.

4. What is the significance of finding the range of values for q_0 in a static universe?

By determining the range of values for q_0 in a static universe, scientists can better understand the behavior and properties of the universe. This can provide insights into the amount and distribution of matter and energy, as well as the potential existence of dark energy, which is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

5. How is q_0 calculated given omega_m and a static universe?

The calculation of q_0 involves using the Friedmann equations, which describe how the universe evolves over time. By setting the equation for the deceleration parameter to 0, and using the value of omega_m, the range of values for q_0 can be determined for a static universe. This calculation is an important tool in understanding the dynamics of the universe and testing various cosmological theories.